1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Butterfly on Dogwood

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Vienna Pics, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I was at Colvin Mill, Fairfax, Virginia and caught this butterfly on the dogwood:

[​IMG]

2. Mark,

This is such a cool photo. In fact, I have to keep looking at it because the dogwood blossoms appear to be huge compared to your butterfly; and I know that they really aren't that large. Very nice optical illusion!! Or, maybe it's just my imagination!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

3. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Crystal - thanks - maybe it has something to do with the good Virginia soil we have....there are a lot of horses in Virginia.

4. !!

The fact is that this is a very small species of butterfly rather than an optical illusion.

Bob F.

5. Very nice, with interesting composition.

What sort of dogwood would be blooming in Virginia at this time of year? Certainly not the native. This must be some exotic variety, or a hybrid. In fact, that might explain the large size of the blossoms.

6. great photo...i live in richmond, and the butterfly makes the blossom look huge. thanks david

7. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Bob - do you happen to have a name for this species?

This was taken back in May - I have a backlog of PP and just got to these.

Thank you David.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.