Butterfly: silver spotted skipper

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Couple of pics of what seems to be a silver spotted skipper. Again, not an eyecatching butterfly, but I seem to gravitate to the more mundane....give them their due I suppose?
    Comments, criticisms always appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

2. Super sharp ! The second one has a perfect background. I believe you used a tripod for these ?

3. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    No tripod used, but do use a monopod for such pics. Stofen diffuser tilted to 45 deg. also seems to work well for outside shots and a more subtle lighting with the 200 Micro. Thanks for the input.
    Jerry Snider

4. Even with a monopod, that's a steady hand : 1/60th at 200mm (300 equiv.). Great work.

5. BTW.
    I've read quite a few complaints of the DX2 mis-focusing. From what I can see here, it doesn't seem to be out of control. What is your experience on this ?

6. These are great shots Jerry. They are not mundane creatures as I see them, and seeing them like this makes true beauties out of them.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Jerry. You have access to a nice variety of flora and fauna. :wink:

8. As I can see Jerry your learning curve with the D2X is going up, don't quit, with patience you will get it.

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    I am one of those who complained of focusing problems with the D2X. Still not certain, and my pics ARE getting somewhat better (IMHO!!). However, I used the Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED lens/tripod for many of my early pics and that particular lens appears to be damaged and may have been a major part of my problem. I am still somewhat suspect, but s-l-o-w-l-y coming around. Love the camera otherwise.
    Thanks again for the input.
    Jerry Snider

10. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks, Frank. However, pretty much all of my recent posts have come from a small clump of Purple Coneheads in my neighbors back yard! Haven't been able to get out much what with caring for two small grandkids every day.
    Jerry Snider

11. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Gilles, the pics do seem to be getting a tad better. Finally had to give up on the 80-200 2.8 ED as apparently it has been damaged. When I went pretty much with the 200 Micro things began to get a bit better. Still wasn't happy with a bit too much flash in the pics, so started tilting up the SB 800 with Stofen diffuser to 45 deg., even outdoors, and it seems to make considerable difference in providing a more even, subtle fill. With the D70 I didn't have that problem for some reason. Perhaps with the 80-200 lens with 5T diopter a normal setup was O.K., but with the 200 Micro I seem to require the 45 deg. tilt.
    Thanks for the input, everyone.

Jerry Snider

12. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks, Dave. Appreciate the comments. Don't compare with your stuff, though!
    Jerry Snider