Butterfly wing extreme macro

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Make sure you view it at 100%.

It's a 100% crop of a focus stack of a butterfly's wings. I think it was a swallowtail. I found it dead in my garage.

I shot with my D600 and Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens plus a full set of Kenko tubes. The magnification should be a little less than 2:1.

Lit with an Elenchrom Style 300 flash through a too-large softbox (the only size I have)

I shot a stack of about 16 images, using a focus rail to move the camera in tiny increments between shots. You do get better results using rails for a couple of reasons. First the entire image can be shot at closest focus. Second, the lens optics don't change between shots.

I find the level of detail you can get mind-boggling. The scales on the butterfly's wings look like woven fabric.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Amazing detail! However, it appears that only the parts nearest the camera (in the lower left corner) are sharp. It might just be a problem the internet re-sizing the image though.

http://www.pbase.com/duncanc/image/151644781/original.jpg
Make sure you view it at 100%.

It's a 100% crop of a focus stack of a butterfly's wings. I think it was a swallowtail. I found it dead in my garage.

I shot with my D600 and Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens plus a full set of Kenko tubes. The magnification should be a little less than 2:1.

Lit with an Elenchrom Style 300 flash through a too-large softbox (the only size I have)

I shot a stack of about 16 images, using a focus rail to move the camera in tiny increments between shots. You do get better results using rails for a couple of reasons. First the entire image can be shot at closest focus. Second, the lens optics don't change between shots.

I find the level of detail you can get mind-boggling. The scales on the butterfly's wings look like woven fabric.
amazing!

It looks like an intricate woven fabric! Great job.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom