Buy another Xbox 360 or switch to a PS3?

My Xbox 360 for the second time has gone RROD on me! I'm now comtemplating whether or not I should buy another 360, get it repaired or move to the PS3. I'm wondering if the new slim 360's are more reliable? I've never had a game system go out on me...ever! My old Atari 2600, NES, Genesis, Gamecube, Dreamcast and Wii were all workhorses!

Anybody else have this problem?

PS3s had the 'yellow light of death'. 360s had the 'red ring of death'. There is the Wii death where the eye won't read anymore. I can't think of a single person who wouldn't laugh if they saw me pick up a Nintendo cartridge and blow into it.

I had my 360 fixed almost three years ago, and it's been fine since. I have a PS3 slim that runs so hot I can't believe it doesn't catch fire.

I'd try and see if MS will cover the RROD. If not, then what are you invested in the 360? Other than that, pick heads or tails?

If you already have a bunch of 360 games that you want to play, it likely makes sense to get another. I've heard the new ones are less likely to fail.

Although if you want to go Blu-Ray and try something new, the PS3 has a lot to offer as well. The "Yellow Light of Death" was on the original PS3 Fats BTW so that shouldn't be a concern on the newer slims...

i had rrod once, sent it in and havent had any problems since. my buddy has one of the new ones and hasn't had any problems. he says that it is quiter and doesnt run as hot. another thing going for the 360 is the kinect. if you dont have one get a new 360 bundled with a kinect.
you couldn't pay me to get a ps3 with all the security issues they have been having.

just do yourself a favor and jump to dark side - PS3. I have one from original release - hell this thing is super hard to kill. Mine is always on, since purchase, if I am not using it folding is. It has been long time when it was off and keep running smooth.

This RROD 360 was already repaired and sent back to me. Hence my hesitation to buy another.

Send it back and let them know firmly you want this repaired under warranty, they will or send you a refurb. Been through this before and it is a known issue they will reluctantly fight if you take control of the situation. Oh, and make sure they send you the prepaid return box as you don't want to pay shipping.

And don't get me started on them locking the the DVD player to the product code/firmware. You can get the DVD player cheap on eBay but you have to do the firmware hack or replace the circuit board from the old one to the new.

Yep, Microsoft knows how to irritate people.:frown:

I've never had any problems with my PS3, granted it's only been about 18 months of having it... Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade it for the simple fact that I like the controller better. Some people hate the PS3 controls, but they fit me like a glove.

Another thing to consider are there any games on 360 that you like that you cant get on ps3? Do you use xbox live...Sony's and nintendoes doesn't compare

Did I mention sony has been having problems with people hacking personal info on the ps3's servers and everytime they say they've fixed it they get hacked again?:eek:

I'll admit...im a 360 fanboy :biggrin:

I'll admit...im a 360 fanboy :biggrin:

It's obvious!:tongue:

He's right though, I haven't been on in a long time; but last I'd heard they still hadn't fixed the hack fully yet... But if your like me, your cheap and don't like paying for the XBOX live... (Yeah, i'm a tightwad lol):rolleyes:

Actually I canceled my LIVE account and have been using it mainly as a DVD player. To be honest I haven't been playing games much at all ever since the baby. I've just been using my Wii to watch Netflix since there's no subscription! I'm actually not a fan of any of the current systems and dwell on the glory days of my Sega consoles! :tongue:

Real Name
Jake Ebersole
Make the switch. I owned a PS3 and a 360. Loved the PS3, but had to sell it to help pay for truck repairs. I liked being able to play Blu-Ray DVD's also. Makes it really nice. And PSN is free!

I have both. I've had my ps3 longer, so I play it more, since I have more friends that get on it. I switch back and forth between the 2 systems during the week.
If you're going to be using it as a dvd player and stream netflix, I'd get a ps3. You get a bluray and free net.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom