Buy Capture NX from Nikon or Amazon.com?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Jul 3, 2007.

1. I have used up my 30-day trial of NX and have decided to buy it. I can purchase a license from Nikon for $149.95 and begin using it immediately, or I can buy it from Amazon.com for $115.90 and wait for it to ship.

Are there any other benefits to purchasing direct from Nikon?

2. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Buy it from Amazon and save the 35.00 bucks..

3. If you buy it from Nikon, do you get the CD's or just a key code? The CD's would be a nice plus.

4. Nope, just the key code. And I've already pulled the trigger as I now feel crippled without Capture NX.

5. if you have a copy of capture 4 then it will only be $89.00 to upgrade.

6. Depends...what's Amazon charging you for shipping?

Anthony

7. Larlec

Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    It's probably been hashed out before but is NX really all that much better than Capture 4? I'm considering purchasing one or the other as well at this time and have heard that Capture 4 does just fine. Any input or guidance?

8. Larry, many people prefer Capture 4, but I don't think it's available anymore.

9. I bought from Amazon. You then have the CDs and the manual for less money. All you need to do is enter the key code and you're set.

10. Capture 4 is not supposed to have anymore upgrades (they did issue 1 upgrade after saying that) so if you buy any new Nikon it may not open the nef images.
    Are you happy with your camera?
    I have both and use NX all the time now as I figure I will "have" to use it when I buy another camera.

11. Larry

I tried NX and ditched it after a short while. NX seemed insanely awkward and non intuitive. I'm SURE plenty will disagree with that opinion though. If the 'trial' is still available that would be the best way to test drive it.

I use Capture 4 and find it works fine for my initial NEF editing.

thread hijack off now................................... :biggrin:
    JohnG

12. I don't believe that Capture 4 can handle D40 NEFs. Probably same re D80. Looks like Nikon isn't supporting it any more.

13. Capture NX is definitely the replacement for Capture 4.4. It has some very usefull control point tools. I use it fairly extensively (upgraded from Capture 4.4)

Have just bought Jason Odell's "The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX" ( http://www.luminescentphoto.com/capturenx.html ) and am finding it very usefull along with Nikon's tutorials ( http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...nMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1 ) in making the most of an emerging software tool.

I have heard many people say that Capture NX is probably the best software to interpret raw files from Nikon cameras and I expect this is fairly accurate, albeit apparently it is a little slow and I haven't used enough others to substantiate this.

I would recommend it as does Thom Hogan ( http://www.bythom.com/recommendations.htm).

14. kilm53

kilm53 Guest

Buy a D200 and its free at the moment.. :wink:

15. I would like to thank those who continue to respond to this thread, but if you read post #4 you'll see that I made my purchase on the same day I started the thread and have been using NX happily ever since. :wink: :smile: