1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Buy Online or at the Store?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by AllThumz, Aug 10, 2009.

1. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    I decided to switch to a Mac some time ago, and finally made a first trip to the nearest Apple store (about 60 miles away) and got some hands-on time. I didn't have an appointment and the place was really jumping with people.

So the question is: Is it wise to buy online (MacBook Pro), or should I just make the appointment and get one from the store? It would give me a good excuse to go back :smile:

I've also read on some forums that with school starting in a month or so that it's difficult to keep MacBooks in stock.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
    John

2. 60 miles? Just order it.

3. either will be fine. won't you save on tax if you order online? if you need post purchase assistance, then you can make the trip over there. keep an eye out for those back to school deals too. maybe you can get a free ipod touch or something.

4. You will pay the tax either way. I still think online is easier, but as "pbe gummi bear" said if you need or want the assistance then make the trip. Also, any deals they offer in store are also offered online.

Good luck and have fun.

5. Cliff3

Cliff3

Apr 23, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Since Oregon has no sales tax, I would be inclined to order a build-to-order machine from the Apple online store. I think shipping is free. The brick and mortar stores are only going to stock the standard configurations.

Certain other online stores also have custom configurations available or BTO options - B&H Photo is an example of the former, while Expercom.com is an example of the latter. They discount prices slightly and may have free shipping.

6. Don't forget to check the refurb store at Apple's web site. You can save some money and, in my experience, the systems can't be distinguished from new. Also, occasionally, you get more than you ordered (i.e. more memory or a bigger hard drive than specified in the refurb store listing).

7. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    Thanks to everyone for the help. I ordered one from the online store a little while ago. I decided to go with the 13" since portability is an issue.

While Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, we still can't pump our own gas :frown:

Regards,
    John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.