Buy or wait on a new model camera?

Would you

• Buy the old and proven model

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Wait 6 months for the bugs to be worked out then buy

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Ahhh no need to wait let me at the new one.

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters
Since I have been into photography I have seen the launch of the D300s, D90 and now the D7000. At least those are the ones I'm aware of. With any new product there can be bugs etc.

How long would you wait to buy a new model release to make sure it's not a dud and full of problems? I see a lot of talk with the D300 and D700 replacement and people waiting.

It leads me to question though on if it's not smarter to get the D300 or D700 that is solid and proven track record or quick rush out and buy the latest and greatest model.

What prompted this was I read the thread on someone buying a D7000 refurb and I was surprised there are already refurb machines. Someone posted about the back focus issues. I'm not sure how big of issue this is though.

What prompted this was I read the thread on someone buying a D7000 refurb and I was surprised there are already refurb machines. Someone posted about the back focus issues. I'm not sure how big of issue this is though.

A lot of folks regard it normal that you buy a camera, use it for a couple of weeks, and then return it because you don't like DX, or the black color of the body, or something else they knew in advance [/rant].

Obviously those cameras cannot be sold as "new" anymore. Instead of Nikon scrapping them (and as such raising the prices so the people who *do* their research before buying pay for those who don't) they sell them as refurbs.

I would like to know what either nikon's policy is or the stores policy on selling as new. If I were buying something new I would expect it new not one that has been sold and returned.

Get the D700 and be done with it.

That's what I mean. The D700 seems to be a solid camera. The same with the D300s. When I bought my D80 I didn't know much and bought the latest and greatest Nikon had out for that price line. I would have to say it seems the D80 flopped.

You see a lot of positive comments on the D90, 300s and the 700. There will always be the latest and greatest but at what cost.

Just wondering why you call the D80 a flop?

I don't have one, & never did. Just wondering.

Buy the one you like now........shoot, enjoy, create memories.........when a new one comes out, if you want to upgrade...sell, buy.......repeat, shoot, enjoy, etc....

Some of you guys make it way too hard of a decision.........and it really isn't.

If there was something seriously wrong with the D7000 they wouldn't be selling as many as they are. It's the second highest resolution nikon DSLR ever. That sort of resolution is going to magnify any problems with glass or user technique. When it came out there were all sorts of peeps shooting less than stellar glass, $40 wal-mart tripods shooting test charts and complaining about the results. Sorry if he's reading this but one guy was using a wal-mart tripod, a 70-300 G and complaining about soft results when he was shooting test charts. He returned his, chances are there was nothing wrong with the camera. That accounts for one of the refurbs.

Of course there will be lots of refurbs. I know a guy who buys tons of gear, tests it for a day or two and then returns it. All that stuff ends up as refurbs, and there's likely nothing wrong with any of it. There are lots of folks like that.

The D7000 is a wonderful machine. There were some issues with it but nothing that would show up in real photography. There was one issue that showed up only with the lens cap on, in bulb mode at extremely high iso that was 'fixed' with a firmware update.

As for waiting for the new D700/D300... well I dunno if I'd want to play that game. I read something on Nikon Rumors that there are no professional DSLR's scheduled for release until Summer. That could refer to the D4, or that could refer to the D4, D800, D400. One cam that seems to be sure to come out is the D5100. If it packs the D7000 sensor it could be an interesting cam. But I think we'd have seen more smoke if the D800/D400 was coming out this spring. We'd have seen lots of leaked photos, manuals, and the like and I don't think anything like that has been leaked yet. Not only that but even once it is released it might be awhile before they fill all the orders, if you wait until summer for the D800/D400 you might be lucky to get one by Halloween.

If the D7000 packs the features and specs that appeal to you just buy it.

Just wondering why you call the D80 a flop?

I don't have one, & never did. Just wondering.

It's one of those I can't put my finger on. When you do a lot of searching here on the forums it doesn't have the best reviews like the D90 or the D70 does. In the topics you just find a lot of posts that speak favorly of it.

The only issu that I know of is that it over exposes the photos but that can be dialed out.

I have a D80 and it works fine for me but I'm outgrowing it and need the next step up. For me the camera has served me well and I have over 27k clicks on it now.

I just want to add I'm in the markert / not in the market. It will be summer/fall before I have the $$$ to move up.

The question is more the general question not specific to me in wondering if new cameras out of the gates are full of bugs and if it's better to buy a tried and true vs jumping on the band wagon and risking the bugs.

Now if Nikon cameras are normally bug free then this isn't a concern as it might be with other items like cars etc.

I just want to add I'm in the markert / not in the market. It will be summer/fall before I have the $$$ to move up.

The question is more the general question not specific to me in wondering if new cameras out of the gates are full of bugs and if it's better to buy a tried and true vs jumping on the band wagon and risking the bugs.

Now if Nikon cameras are normally bug free then this isn't a concern as it might be with other items like cars etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about bugs. By summer time you should have many more models to make the decision even more difficult. :)

You will always be waiting for the next model. I got one of the first D90s and D7000s and had NO problems. I think most of the problems are exagerated. You only hear about the few people who think somethig is wrong not the 50,000 that are satisfied. GH

I used a D70s for several years, and eventually started feeling limited by it. The D300s came out right before my honeymoon, and I bought it only a week or two after it became available. I have had zero problems with the camera (your mileage may vary, of course). I don't think there's much risk.

Here's where I did have the problem, though - at the time I was using Apple's Aperture software, and it took Apple MONTHS to provide an update so that I could import/edit the D300s files. It was really frustrating because I had all of these great photos from Italy and no way to import them into my preferred software. There were other pieces of software that could be used, of course, but it was an annoying problem.

Anyway, the lesson I learned is that when you buy a new product, sometimes it's not the product that burns you. It's something else you are used to using that goes along with the product.

(I use Adobe now, by the way. I hope they're faster :smile:)

Since I have been into photography I have seen the launch of the D300s, D90 and now the D7000. At least those are the ones I'm aware of. With any new product there can be bugs etc.

How long would you wait to buy a new model release to make sure it's not a dud and full of problems? I see a lot of talk with the D300 and D700 replacement and people waiting.

It leads me to question though on if it's not smarter to get the D300 or D700 that is solid and proven track record or quick rush out and buy the latest and greatest model.

Unquestionably, you are relatively new to photography. It is not unusual for camera companies to debut models often, sometimes in the short span of a year and a half to two years. If you need the camera now do not wait since bodies come and go. Lenses are a better investment.
The D300 is a nice camera and the D700 is excellent too. Selecting one or the other depends on your needs. Teles will be "longer" with the D300 while wide angles will give you their natural perspective when used with the D700.
It does not matter what camera you buy, it will depreciate sooner than later.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I already took the "old" D90.

Good benefit / cost ratio, cool camera, happy buyer.

But with a little more money the D7000 is an option to consider.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom