Buy used Nikon Lenses, worth it??!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by oz388, Oct 3, 2008.

1. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    I found Nikon lenses hold their value very well especially those Pro ones. Nikon lenses usually come with 5 years warranty and the warranty is not transferable to the second owner. For other electronics a 5 years warranty means an additional of $300 to $500 on top of the purchasing price. Thus, is it worth you to try to buy a used lens?? Especially in the case you are not going to save more than $300 or (15-20%) compare with the Brand New one from store.

Let me know what do you guys think...

2. I've purchased a used
    28-70
    12-24
    50 1.4

All are in like new condition and I saved myself a TON of money.

3. Almost all the equipment in my signature were bought used. Except for my flash and 70-200 VR (which I got for free through insurance), I saved quite a pretty penny!

4. My first option is to buy used, which I guess I've done about 20 times on lenses. I've bought two (of six) bodies new. I'll only buy a new lens if the used price is within about one major repair of the new price, but that is rare. (And obviously if I'm buying a newly announced product I don't wait for a used sample.)

I'm also willing to buy a cosmetically beat-up lens, as long as the glass is fine. My 35/f1.4 looks like it's been through a war (and it is possible that this is literally true). It's still one of my best lenses.

This saves a BOATLOAD of money.

5. I agree.
    I've pretty much purchased all of my lenses used. I saved at least $1,200 in total when I puchased my 17-35 and my 80-200 afs. I picked up the 180 2.8 AIS for a ridiculously low price.

6. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    Used is the way to go.

7. It's absolutely worth it. I have purchased about 75% of my kit in used condition; including a 300 mm f/2.8 AFS II lens and two D300 bodies!! Actually, I purchased my D2H, D2HS, D2X and my second D200 in used condition. It's always a good idea to know the seller and develop a relationship with them. I have established a wonderful rapport with several Cafe members. I look forward to them upgrading their gear because I know they will give me an opportunity to purchase their gently used gear... :rolleyes: 

8. I've probably saved over 20 grand buying used.

9. Yep, that sounds right!! I'm not in your league, but I know that I have saved a bundle!!

10. Used is a good way to go. Except for the 35 f/2, all of my gear is used. In turn, I saved a heathy chunk of change and all my gear is insured to boot.

God Bless,
    David

11. I definitely prefer used. The 10.5 and 14-24 are the only ones I've bought new......going back to '04.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    My camera bodies, flashes, fish, 12-24, and 17-55 were bought new.

My current version of the 70-200 and both copies of the 80-200 AF-D I've owned were bought used. Both version of the 80-400 Vr I have owned were also bought used.

13. I know that I prefer to buy lenses used....but what about bodies?? Do most people buy them used or new?

14. I see plenty of used camera bodies and kits for sale, but seldom lenses. When I do find a used lens for sale, the price is almost as much as the new lens price! Where do you guys find these deals on used lenses, besides ebay which I stay away from?

Robert

15. Used! All but one of my current lenses were purchased used -- 70-200VR, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, plus four non-Nikons. Those four Nikons were all purchased here on the Cafe.

And the only lens that I bought new, was only because I got an excellent deal on it. Else I would have bought that one used too.

One of the major advantages of buying used is that you don't "lose" that much in value when the inevitable latest and greatest model comes out. You just end up paying a modest "rental fee."

16. After 25 substantive posts and 30 days of membership here, you'll find out :biggrin:

We have an excellent For Sale forum here. One should always exercise common sense. But I've been very happy with the lens and accessory purchases I've made here.

17. 25 substantive posts?.........Heck.......I'll be an old man before that happens! 1 substantive post might even be a problem for me!

God Bless,
    Robert

18. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    craigslist

I have found a few good deals on craigslist actually. I also scored a Sigma 70 to 200 2.8 HSM yesterday for $425 shipped on ebay. WOW......Can't wait to get it. I have bought alot of used lens on ebay. Keep your eye out for miscatorgised items and stuff that ends at like 2am. I catch people"sleeping" alot on these auctions and have gotten some great deals, like my new 18 to 200vr for 589.

19. Everything in my sig. I bought used except the 200 f2 VR, and that only because I
    couldn't wait for a used one to materialize. No probs., no worries. :biggrin:

20. Used usually makes the most sense except for certain lenses that hold their value exceptionally well. Case in point a 70-200 2.8 average used price is 1500 and I can buy new with a 5 year warranty for 1668.00. I always shop used first but just bought a new 24-70 2.8 for 1699 out of the camera store in Calgary. I've seen used ones priced higher.....

Cheers

Ted:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.