Buying a D7100 soon

Which body should I keep?

• Total voters
I have a D2x and a D90, one will go. Which would you keep as a second body? I find the D90 is much more forgiving of my questionable technique :wink: than the D2x but every so often I get a great shot with the D2x. I love the feel of a pro body but I'm on the fence. My D90 has served me well and has lots of life left but so does the D2x with only about 40k clicks on it.

Those that have experience with both, which would you keep and why?

I have not shot with a D2x, but I sold a D200 and a D2H when I bought a D7000, and I've shot with friend's D90. I positively love the feel of pro bodies, but even with frequent skiing, boating, mountain biking, climbing, shooting field sports and pool sports, etc., I never regret selling them. For my active but non-professional use, the D7000 is rugged enough, and useful enough with a grip.

I imagine D90 output quality is at least as good as the D2x, so for me it would come down to which one I would rather destroy by accident, either smashed against a rock or lost in the ocean or even stolen. I voted, and would keep, the D90, just because it would be more convenient to carry around on the adventures during which I might lose it. If I shot a lot of daytime field sports or had some other use where the ergonomics would be paramount, I might keep the D2x instead.

Voted D90. You said yourself that you get more keepers with it. Plus as a backup body it is more similar to the D7100 you are getting.

Thanks for the feedback. Most of my shots are stills and street photos. I don't do much action shots. The main thing is I get more keepers with the D90 but when I do get a good one with the D2x it is pretty awesome (by my standards). I am confident the D7100 will become my go to body but I want to keep the one that I have confidence in based on my skill level, which admittedly is not so great. I am more confident with the D90 but I just don't know if it's because I haven't developed my craft as I should. So, with more practice does the D2x outweigh the D90?

I have a D2x and a D90, one will go. Which would you keep as a second body? I find the D90 is much more forgiving of my questionable technique :wink: than the D2x but every so often I get a great shot with the D2x. I love the feel of a pro body but I'm on the fence. My D90 has served me well and has lots of life left but so does the D2x with only about 40k clicks on it.

Those that have experience with both, which would you keep and why?

Keep the D2x for sure. There is nothing like the feel/build/handling of a pro-body.

Tell that D90 to be on it's way.:biggrin:

I voted to keep the D2x, then read the posts THEN looked up the D90. 12MP with both cameras and the D2x is barely broken in - yup, ditch the D90 and work on your technique. You'll have your doubts if you get rid of the D2x and start playing with the D90 again. Comparing apples to apples you get so much less with the D2x BUT sooooo much more at the same time. No program modes BUT pro body. 4.5 FPS vs 5/8 FPS. Pro body. No video but Pro body... from my perspective there is no question at all, the D90 goes. You have you high end consumer DSLR in the D7100 - why not keep a real PRO body???

Real Name
Chris
The D7100 is more similar to the D90 than the D2x, so unless you intend on keeping it solely as a backup camera (to be used only in the event of a failure of your new camera) then the D2x will allow you more variability in your shooting style.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom