1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Buying a used camera body

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by akumalic, Aug 7, 2008.

1. I'm looking at getting another D50 (because I just love mine) to have for back-up. Adorama and KEH always seem to have 1 or 2 of them in stock for the last several weeks. Has anyone bought a used body from either of these and could you offer any feedback? I know a lot of people rave about used glass from KEH and not-so-good reviews about Adorama's used department.

I appreciate any feedback.

2. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I've heard the same thing pretty much. I'd still rather buy from someone here at the cafe or on ebay, because you can actually see pictures of it and ask questions, etc.

Although...I've just been using a D80 for a few weeks and I'm having trouble going back to shooting with my D50. Maybe you should think about upgrading! I certainly will once I have the money.

3. Oscar M

Oscar M

Jun 25, 2008
    New York
    Never had a problem with KEH

I've always been satisfied with KEH. Have not purchased anything at Adorama, but can also vouch for B&H.

4. Just buy off the Cafe. Since most people here are advance hobbyist they get good gear without the abuse professionals unleash on their equipment!

5. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    I got my 2nd D50 from ebay 2 weeks ago. I love that little thing so much I got another one before they dissapear.

I've never ordered from KEH, but I canNOT recommend Adorama at all, especially for used stuff.

Try ebay and/or the Café...

6. Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I'm on the hunt.

7. KEH or Craigslist. I've had good luck with the latter even though it is alittle risky.

Good Luck

8. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Cameta Camera sells refurbs with a warranty through eBay. Picked up a D50 refurb a while back through them for my sil. Almost a thousand clicks on it - high in my opinion for the price. The advantage is that you're getting a Nikon refurb in the box with everything. Buying used is buying used, dependen on the previous owner(s). Been happy with lenses from KEH - will only buy used from Adorama and others in person.

D50's are a bit old at this point - harder and harder to find good condition ones. They clearly do have a 'following' - keeps prices up higher (relatively speaking).

9. Great suggestions everyone. I've been watching used prices for some time now... I ended up finding a good deal on the For Sale Forum here (there's great stuff there!). It should be arriving sometime this week. Thanks again, to everyone!

10. KDann

KDann

Mar 11, 2008
    Texas
    I bought my D100 used from KEH, and it looked brand new when I opened the box...I was amazed. Still looks new btw. I also ordered my 35-70 2.8 from KEH in "bargain" condition...it was in great shape for the price (250$).

11. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I trust Keh enough to give them all my money:rolleyes: . I bought a D3 from them and half a dozen Nikkor AIS primes and one zoom and a 8 mm 2.8 Fish eye that just arrived today:biggrin:. Its got some really faint barrel marks , other than that its perfect. If your not happy send it back with in 14 days and they will make it right.

Gregory

12. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    KEH used bodies

I have been thinking of buying a used D40 for my son. His wife recently had a set of twins and he just primarily wants to take family photos. He had been making do with a P&S. He has been impressed with the pics from my D40.

Do most think a used D40 or D50 from KEH would have a pretty high probability of getting a good product for the price. I am a little leary of EBAY these days. Too many negative stories seem to be going around.

Love this forum even though I have not been around here long as I am a pretty new DSLR user myself. I'm also on a pretty tight budget right now.

Thanks,
    Lynn

13. Just an update... received my "new" used D50 body and extras last night, that I bought from hstrick2000, on the For Sale forum. Great condition... looks like new and works great. Smooth transaction. After looking for some time and KEH, ebay, Adorama and B&H used departments, I recently started looking at the For Sale forum here at NikonCafe. There are some really great buys here... some just require some patience in waiting for someone to post what you're looking for. Thanks Hayden, for the camera and thank you all for your always encouraging input and comments.

14. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Used camera

Congrats on your good deal. It makes it a little easier to acquire good gear when you don't have to pay retail. I still plan to find something soon for my son. I been around here such a brief time, I don't even see the For Sale Forum yet, but my time will come. I have been having a lot of fun with my D40 I just acquired in April.

Lynn

15. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    The nikon cafe for sale forum is a great place to buy/sell. However
    www.keh.com is the place for Nikkor AIS.

Gregory

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.