Buying cameras on Amazon

I don't hesitate buying high dollar items from Amazon including camera equipment. As a matter of fact if I'm buying on line that would be my first stop. That said, due to the way Nikon controls pricing from their authorized distributors I try to buy locally for the same price first. I only go on line if I can't find it at the local camera shop. I will go on line rather than buy from Best Buy or similar.
Amazon has a very bad situation on their hands dealing with fakes, used returned goods then being sold as "new", reputable resellers that play in grey areas of Amazon's TOS, and so on. I've gone so far as to not buy anything on Amazon that isn't sold by Amazon themselves unless it's a brand I trust. Meaning, if it is Nikon's store on Amazon, sold by Nikon, etc., then I wouldn't be too concerned, but anyone else and it's an absolute no from me. And with price controls, there isn't any reason to go with them vs. another reputable company like a camera reseller for things like this.

I just don't trust Amazon to do good anymore, and I say this being a Prime member still. They're good for certain things, but I wouldn't trust them with anything over say $200.

Real Name
Ken
Amazon has a very bad situation on their hands dealing with fakes, used returned goods then being sold as "new", reputable resellers that play in grey areas of Amazon's TOS, and so on. I've gone so far as to not buy anything on Amazon that isn't sold by Amazon themselves unless it's a brand I trust. Meaning, if it is Nikon's store on Amazon, sold by Nikon, etc., then I wouldn't be too concerned, but anyone else and it's an absolute no from me. And with price controls, there isn't any reason to go with them vs. another reputable company like a camera reseller for things like this.

I just don't trust Amazon to do good anymore, and I say this being a Prime member still. They're good for certain things, but I wouldn't trust them with anything over say $200.
Years ago, I was advised to buy things sold by Amazon itself to avoid issues like counterfeit items. It sounded like good advice until somebody said they thought that Amazon does not specifically store items sold by different vendors discretely. For example, Nikon batteries of a certain type were all stored together regardless of who was the seller. The warehouse just grabs a battery and credits the seller. I mentioned this to a person who then thought that would not make sense for inventory control. Not knowing which might be the correct story, I tend to buy commodity items (often in sealed packages) from Amazon as the seller where they offer free returns. For larger purchases like a camera, I try to give business to my local camera store, B&H or possibly Best Buy.

--Ken

I bought several different camera bodies and lenses through Amazon without issue. Some were new, some were refurbished. I'd trust Amazon more than a local shop. My local shop went out of business just a few days after I ordered and put a $500 deposit on a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. He took my money knowing he was closing before my lens would arrive.

JLH

I bought several different camera bodies and lenses through Amazon without issue. Some were new, some were refurbished. I'd trust Amazon more than a local shop. My local shop went out of business just a few days after I ordered and put a $500 deposit on a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. He took my money knowing he was closing before my lens would arrive.
Oh that hurts! I would not buy expensive items from Amazon, but that is just me. I do go to my local camera shop and they always match the Amazon/B&H or whoever price. Also, when I "pre-order" a lens, like the new Z macro I got recently, they have never asked for a deposit. "Pay when you pick it up!". But, I have done business with them for fifteen years and we know each other. OH, And if there is a price drop within 30 days they refund the difference. I am a loyal customer with this sort of treatment.

Buy from who you prefer, for sure, but I find it hard to believe so many are worried about Amazon. Sure, skip the off-brand sellers, that's been solid advice for years, but beyond that Amazon's return policy is the gold standard as far as I am concerned. And I don't agree that B&H packs better. I'm spoiled by buying used gear on various forums. We tend to pack our gear obsessively well. Amazon and B&H, not so much.

Oh that hurts! I would not buy expensive items from Amazon, but that is just me. I do go to my local camera shop and they always match the Amazon/B&H or whoever price. Also, when I "pre-order" a lens, like the new Z macro I got recently, they have never asked for a deposit. "Pay when you pick it up!". But, I have done business with them for fifteen years and we know each other. OH, And if there is a price drop within 30 days they refund the difference. I am a loyal customer with this sort of treatment.
Yes, it hurt. Many people say supprot the local camera store instead of the big box stores. The owner actually said he'd match the price of the two big stores in NY, knowing good and well that he was closing long before the lens arrived. That $2500 lens cost me an extra $500. 🤬 If I EVER run into that store owner on the street, I'll....let's just say, It'll cost him way more than $500.

Real Name
Ken
Yes, it hurt. Many people say supprot the local camera store instead of the big box stores. The owner actually said he'd match the price of the two big stores in NY, knowing good and well that he was closing long before the lens arrived. That $2500 lens cost me an extra $500. 🤬 If I EVER run into that store owner on the street, I'll....let's just say, It'll cost him way more than $500.
Wouldn't Visa or MC have reversed the charge?

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
@Hylander - Uh......have you looked, REALLY looked, at your images? They are excellent! Well composed, processed and very interesting! I'm always excited to see a new thread from you. That said, I applaud the desire to improve. Some folks just settle for where they are, thinking that by constantly upgrading their gear that somehow their images will get better. NOPE! You can look at their photos from 5 or 10 years ago compared to the recent photos.....and they are all similar because THEY have not changed.

So, DO think about where you want to take your photography. I think some of us think that gear may not be the answer....but only you can decide that.

I am soon to be 71...and still hope to improve a bit. My photo ops are few and far between, I only pick up a camera about 3-5 times a YEAR! :eek: :oops: But I still think I can improve.

So don't get discouraged. Know that you are doing good work, and continue to look for ways to improve!

When I was working as an artist, a couple times galleries would take things on consignment that would just 'disappear'. These weren't small items. I had artist friends who had considerable inventory at galleries (even well known long established ones) that just shuttered. Every artist has these stories.

You're assuming I had used a credit card.
I don't pay for anything without a credit card these days and I know quite a bit of folks have moved away from cash, debit cards and checks. It's a fair assumption these days. Especially with anything of value.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
@Hylander - Uh......have you looked, REALLY looked, at your images? They are excellent! Well composed, processed and very interesting! I'm always excited to see a new thread from you. That said, I applaud the desire to improve. Some folks just settle for where they are, thinking that by constantly upgrading their gear that somehow their images will get better. NOPE! You can look at their photos from 5 or 10 years ago compared to the recent photos.....and they are all similar because THEY have not changed.

So, DO think about where you want to take your photography. I think some of us think that gear may not be the answer....but only you can decide that.

I am soon to be 71...and still hope to improve a bit. My photo ops are few and far between, I only pick up a camera about 3-5 times a YEAR! :eek: :oops: But I still think I can improve.

So don't get discourage. Know that you are doing good work, and continue to look for ways to improve!
Thank you for your encouragement, Karen. I know that gear is not the answer for me, and I know exactly why buying a Z7 or Z7ii doesn't make sense for me (despite the siren song of new gear). My casual kind of photography, given my limitations, suits me well right now, but when I see the technical and artistic perfection of many who post here -- including your own photos -- and I read insightful critical comments informed by education and experience, I'm acutely aware how little my own efforts measure up.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank you for your encouragement, Karen. I know that gear is not the answer for me, and I know exactly why buying a Z7 or Z7ii doesn't make sense for me (despite the siren song of new gear). My casual kind of photography, given my limitations, suits me well right now, but when I see the technical and artistic perfection of many who post here -- including your own photos -- and I read insightful critical comments informed by education and experience, I'm acutely aware how little my own efforts measure up.
Many of us are our own worst critic! My husband tells me this all the time! LOL!

Be kind to yourself.....and give yourself credit for the wonderful images you contribute to our forum. Photography is a journey and our paths encompass many destinations. This we can share and enjoy with other like-minded photographers.

Real Name
Ken
You might enjoy this interview with Sean Tucker that just posted a few days ago. It was a nice interview on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBT6ZUFLWSkghYRzPQkWbhA . (Just click on the link in the lower right corner of the window and you will be taken to the video.)

--Ken

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You might enjoy this interview with Sean Tucker that just posted a few days ago. It was a nice interview:
. (Just click on the link in the lower right corner of the window and you will be taken to the video.)

--Ken
I just get a generic YouTube page...........

Real Name
Ken
I just get a generic YouTube page...........
Let me see what I can do. This is a known issue, and I am stuck in a meeting right now.

--Ken

UPDATE - I put a link to the channel. It was the best I could do. The video is clearly labeled. It is a long, but enjoyable interview, and many would appreciate the discussion, especially near the latter half of the video.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom