Buying Demo model of D50?

Do you think its worth buying a demo model and selling brand new D40 for that?

Reason: Virtually I can get the D50 demo model in the same price I will be able to sell D40 for and can use any number of primes.

Is it worth?

They say its demo model so ideally it should not have very less actuations. comes with 90 day dealer waruntee

I traded my D40 for a D50 and have been happy with it. The only thing I really miss from the D40 is the actually useful screen and the fact that the info screen is on the rear LCD so it's lit up. The D50 screen stinks, and the top LCD panel doesn't light up. RAW files out of both cameras are very similar. I haven't really noticed any differences. Although the D50 can't do ISO3200 like the D40 can (which I miss but can underexpose and push in post if I need to).

The D40 uses the newer menus and zoom abilities on the screen as well. Overall it seems faster and more usable than the D50. But the AF motor is hard to argue against.

T

triebs2

I like my D50 and still use it regularly as a light weight kit that I can take with me everywhere without worrying too much about theft or damage. I am dismayed at Nikon's decision to make the newer consumer models that autofocus only with AF-S lenses, though I guess I can understand it as a cost-saving measure. I'd love to trade in the D50 for a D60 but I will not because of the lens AF limitations.

I traded my D40 for a D50 and bought another one here at the Cafe. I have not regretted the decision. My 50mm 1.8 is so much fun now....i guess i was just lazy.

I love my D50 too, Ill keep it even after I get my new camera. Im hopping to get either a D300 or maybe a D80/90 eventually, really want the D300 but reality might get the best of me. The no auto focus motor in the D40/40x/60 is a deal breaker for me, I love my 50mm 1.4 way to much, and plan on getting a 35mm f2 and 85 1.4.

Sagar, I see that you have only been a Café member for a few days.
Unless you just find an outrageous bargain from a reliable source. I recommend waiting until you reach the 30 day minimum requirement to access the "For Sale" forum at Nikon Cafe.
It will be worth the wait and you just may find a gently used D80 near the price point you are suggesting paying for a D50.

Bought my D50 from Cameta w/o any issues. No sales pressure for other things.

I traded my D40 for a D50 and bought another one here at the Cafe. I have not regretted the decision. My 50mm 1.8 is so much fun now....i guess i was just lazy.

My 50mm 1.8 arrives tomorrow. I'm going to be waiting at the door for UPS :) I hope he comes early!

Carole:smile::smile:

Thanks to all for kind replies and your feedback this has helped me to consider Cameta for any future purchases

Darell, I checked D80 in stores and finding it too big but its definitely not out of consideration. But just that if I get the same features in D50, I am okay :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom