Buying online... Amazon or B&H?

Hello all,

I'm looking to finally take the plunge and upgrade from my D2Hs, and I have what may seem like a silly question.

I've bought things from both B&H and from Amazon. However, I've never bought camera equipment from Amazon. I've been happy with purchases from both.

The price would be the same, so the question would be: Is there any advantage to buying camera equipment from one as opposed to the other?

Thanks for your help

Andy

I have bought items from both also, but all my camera equipment has come from B&H. I would feel confident in buying from either, but would still lean towards B&H due to the great customer service I received about nine years ago when a shipment got lost when I was stationed over in the United Kingdom. B&H was very easy to deal with and sent out another copy of my Nikon Capture that got lost.

Overall I wouldn't worry about going with either. Both are very reputable and offer superb customer service. The one criticism I've seen of Amazon is that they don't pack their camera offerings as well as Adorama or B&H so there's a higher chance of shipping damage with them.

That said I had no issues with the lens I did buy from Amazon personally, but if the price is identical, that may swing you to another reputable vendor over Amazon for camera gear...

I've bought from both and never been disappointed. I also use Robert's in Indianapolis. They were the only one that consistently had inventory on the D3s last year.

I will say that I am extremely disappointed with UPS Mail Innovations which B&H occasionally uses. Turns out that it is slower than just using straight USPS, much slower.

I have purchased some photo equipment from Amazon that was actually fulfilled by Adorama and B&H, though only accessories rather than cameras/lenses. For some reason that I don't understand, sometimes their prices on Amazon were better than the prices they wanted if I'd ordered direct, otherwise the prices were the same, but I got to use some Amazon credits on the purchases.

Have never bought directly from Adorama, but have bought from B&H in person rather than via the web (but that was a very looooong time ago).

I have bought from all of the above, prefer B&H as well. But last year, Amazon was the only one w/ a D3s in stock (at the time) and I bought mine thru them. As Howard mentions, you should check to see who's actually selling the merchandise, Amazon or an affiliate. Some of the affiliates can be a bit dodgy. My D3s came directly from Amazon.

Overall I wouldn't worry about going with either. Both are very reputable and offer superb customer service. The one criticism I've seen of Amazon is that they don't pack their camera offerings as well as Adorama or B&H so there's a higher chance of shipping damage with them.

That said I had no issues with the lens I did buy from Amazon personally, but if the price is identical, that may swing you to another reputable vendor over Amazon for camera gear...
Agreed. I've purchased lenses and a camera body from Amazon over the past few years. Had no issues with the equipment itself, but Amazon's packing isn't the best. They do have a link on their web site where you can complain about the packing. I've used it, but since the quality of packing doesn't seem to have changed, I'm guessing they don't take those comments too seriously.

AMAZON!

If only because Amazon does not charge you until the item ships. B&H charges you as soon as you place your order, no matter the stock status of your items. I've actually had to fight B&H to get my money back, after several items were on backorder for two months (though I was initially told they'd be in stock in 1-2 weeks).

I spend a lot of money with Amazon (not just on photo gear) every year, and their service has been nothing short of exemplary. When I have ordered expensive items, like a 24-120 lens, from Amazon, they have been every well packed. Amazon also packs sensitive items like hard drives much better than other tech resellers like Newegg or Buy.com.

The last few items I've purchased from Amazon have arrived insufficiently packed. I've never had an anything come from B&H that was not extremely well-padded.

My 70-300 VR lens came from Amazon a few months ago only padded on 4 sides, and I received a hard drive with NO padding, just floating around loose inside the shipping box.

I've bought from both Amazon and B&H, but buy camera equipment from either B&H or Adorama. They both provide excellent customer service, broad inventory and unlike Amazon, can be contacted.

How long does it take to find a phone number at Amazon?

I've bought from both Amazon and B&H, but buy camera equipment from either B&H or Adorama. They both provide excellent customer service, broad inventory and unlike Amazon, can be contacted.

How long does it take to find a phone number at Amazon?

I found "help" in the upper right of the screen, "Contact us"' "Skip sign in", answer the questions and click "call me." Not a line in but a notification to call me;it took about 25 seconds.

Rich

I buy a lot from Amazon but tend to get photography stuff from B&H. For one thing, there's someone knowledgeable you can talk to for advice and recommendations. For example, when I wanted to buy studio-type lighting they pointed me to some great options and everything worked well together. Second, even though I choose standard delivery, the stuff is usually on my doorstep (PA) in a couple of days. Sometimes I'll buy from Adorama if, for instance, they are offering free shipping on an item.

Barry

if you are getting a d3s or d700 b&h has discounted the purchase of the 70200vrII and 1224 by $400 a piece, the 2470, and a couple other lenses are $300 less for the duration of march.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom