1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Buying the 70-200 VR in UK

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by xrdbear, Apr 5, 2007.

1. I seem to have finally convinced myself to sell my 80-400VR and splash out on the 70-200 which will be more versatile for me.

I was trying to decide who to get it from and wondered if anyone could tell me if there is a good reason to try out Grays of Westminster instead of my more usual Park Cameras or Warehouse Express?

2. crate

crate

Mar 14, 2007
    Spain
    70-200

Brian
    Go for Grays, I got the same lens there recently. The place is a monument to all that is Nikon and their service is timely, precise and it's a pleasure to do business with them.
    For what it's worth.
    Lynton

3. yep, ive had stuff from them (not a 70-200) you can get stuff a little cheeper shopping around but the service and knowlage they have is second to none.

4. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Brian:
    Grays has the lens for 1135 pounds, or $2200 US. You could fly to Chicago (where I live, $631 round trip on Delta from LGW), pick up either a US-warranted version for $1600 or a Nikon Mall refurbished (like I did) for $1300, stay in a decent hotel ($150 or less), take some shots (free), then fly back for about the same price. Only downside is warranty. Wow - how are these prices justified or is that a dumb question?
    If you decide to take the US route, I'd be glad to assist. Least I could do for a fellow Cafe member to set this situation right.
    Dave

5. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I have never dealt with Grays and feel sure they do offer excellent service.

Personally I tend to shop around and compare prices using this site:
    http://www.camerapricebuster.com/cat11.html

I then often send a "scattergun" email around to all the dealers listed on this site, asking of them of their best price:
    http://www.ukcamera.com/

I now have all the emails in a distribution list so it's literally, for me, a click of a button to post enquiries with all of them.

I've got some good prices and located what many say are difficult to find items (like my 18-200VR).

6. Thanks for the offer Dave but I'm firmly rooted to this country now. I have a 90 year old mother to look after. Yes our prices are scandalous. Whatever anyone says it's not our VAT or our other taxes it's just that there are companies over here that expect much higher returns than in the States and over the years we have been stupid enough to pay. It's so deep rooted that it would take an earthquake in retail to overcome.

7. Those are both interesting sites. I shall add them both to my bookmarks. It looks as though the Grays price is a good one and it would be nice to test their service so I think I shall go there. Unfortunately there is nowhere up here that I can go and try equipment. The closest is Inverness and that involves a stay overnight.

8. Oh dear. I seem to have accidentally ordered it.:eek: 

Together with the TC-17E II.

I think I'll go and wash the car to calm down.

9. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Don't ya just hate it when that happens!

:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.