1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

BW Film Scans. Take a look!

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by DangerKilo, Jul 29, 2009.

1. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    These are some of my first BW scans. i have been shooting for a while, but the quality has been not so great. These are my first "keepers" All are SOOC as my netbook doesnt have the power for much editing.

3768257779_51b6a13bdc_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 388058

View attachment 388059

View attachment 388060

View attachment 388061

View attachment 388062

Thanks for critiquing!!

2. Like the grain and soft feel to the first shot. Nice job on your first try.

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    These are nice. What was the scanner?

My Canon scanner died recently and I'm looking for a replacement.

4. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I agree with Samuel, I like the first and last a lot :smile:

5. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    The scanner was not my own. I had it scanned in at a local print shop. Hopefully this year will find me a decent scanner and computer combo, and this netbook can do what it was meant to do. Sit in my camera bag with my cameras as the portable go machine! :D 

Thank you all for the comments!

Daniel

6. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    #1 i s very nice Thanks for sharing, Mark

7. IsaacImage

IsaacImage

Mar 16, 2009
    Toronto
    nice images

8. no 1 seems ok really, some might say a tighter crop needed but you have you reasons for the framing so it must be ok -I have no idea what it is.
    no 2, move the camera down to get all the bucket in the frame. Agasin, there are reasons for including the sign and pump. Myself i would have liked to see the machine not disected by the post.
    no 3, tighter crop for me on the chap.
    no 4, where are his feet and try to avoid the flare.
    no 5 & 6 seem well enough done, though i might add in all the photos i have comented on noine are my "subject" so i am giving a general opinion that i hope something come from.

9. What film/camera/processing times were used? Nice shots! A little bump in contrast would be nice for my taste, but good clean negs, so you've already won half the battle right there.

10. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    All were shot with an FE using Ilford XP2 BW 400... The C41 film. Bought the wrong stuff by mistake. Developed and scanned at a local print shop.

Now i do all my film myself using either Ilford ID11 or Perceptol and I shoot pretty much any BW film... usually Ilford HP5 or Delta. Sometimes Fuji Neopan or Kodak TX

Daniel

11. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thank you for the CC, I truly appreciate it. Next weekend I am heading out to some of the same places and I will try to duplicate the shots with some of these included.

That first shot is of the handle of a bell. At the Shinto shrines you toss some money in a box, much like offering at church, then you do the following I am not sure of the order...
    1. Clap twice, pray, clap once
    2. Ring the bell so the priests know you are praying.

Daniel

Daniel

12. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I really liked #1. I liked them all, but #1 was tops. Nothing wrong with the Ilford C41 B&W films, I rather like them.

13. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    The results of the C41 films are fine. Some of them are great, but i cannot effectively develop them at home, so I do not like them. Costs me an extra $6 if i buy the C41... when I am very capable at home for much less than that.

Daniel

14. Love film shots. All are good pics for the Jazzer to view from time to time. Thanks for posting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.