Critique BW roses

First try to shoot flowers in BW. Quick handheld shot before it go even darker...

20191108_233028.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First, make sure your current software doesn't allow you to make selective edits.

Considering that you enjoy making monochrome images, consider DxO's Nik Collection, which includes Silver Efex Pro. That's a plug-in to many software apps such as DxO PhotoLab, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom and I think some others as well. All of those products and the plug-in itself allow you to make selective adjustments.

Capture One could do that as well. They have layers.
DxO PhotoLab has local adjustments: gradients, masks or auto masks and control points based on colour.
These select the area of the image you want to work on. Each in their own way.
Once selected, you can apply the same changes you would otherwise apply to the whole image: exposure, contrast, saturation, vibrance, temperature, sharpness or blur, ...

I got ot wrong because I was thinking of Lightroom so many use, where a tons of thi gs can be done using plugins...
I know C1 can do local editing and masking, one of my reasons to consider it. Most free softwate cannot. I used to have a simple, somehow crippled "point editing" in a version of Nikon's Capture software I used years ago.

DxO Photolabs is a standalone software then, while these Silver Efexs is / can be a aplugin to 3rd party tools. I got to check out and read a bit about today's software, I am outdated.

Thank you all.

And BTW: I can use at least a crippled pseudo local brightening in my digikam. It has a vigneting tool that allows flexible positioning off center, positive or negative exposure altering, and different radius and transition settings. Used that and learned a bit about it during the 2019 OF.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom