By the pool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Sep 9, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    So my oldest daughter wants to play in the pool today... I managed to grab a few shots. Whaddyall think? Give me your honest opinion please.

2. Really cute girl. Pic #1 looks like a snapshot, sorry. If she was looking at the camera, it would be worthwhile, otherwise just doesn't work for me. The pillar cuts the pic, the floating thingy on the upper right draws the eye, and the mauve blob is undiscernable?? The others: too much flash, lower it down, it's overpowering the ambient light. Shd be used for fill, not full. I like the look of concentration in the #2 pic! Not crazy about the cut-off hands in the last one, maybe pull back a bit to tell more of the story. Cute little girl.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    #4 - What a look! You caught Ximina's expression well, Greg!

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Actually, I was working with geometic shapes in that one. Guess it didn't work. Oh well.

Thanks for the comments. I was actually having trouble with the flash not outputting enough power. She was standing in the shade, so the flash was the main source of light, not fill. She'd ocassionally step into the sun, where the flash then became fill. But at the distance she was at, it filled in at about -3 EV.

I didn't use the diffusion dome though, as I normally do, because the flash wasn't outputting enough power, so that's maybe why they look so harsh.

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    She's blowing a raspberry - What does an elephant say?

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I think my line is "I dunno, what does an elephant say?

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    LOL....

Actually, that's what she says - "What does the elephant say?"

Then she answers herself "pfffffffftttt [blows raspberry]."

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Aha! I knew it was a joke. I just didn't expect the crisp efficency and dead-on timing from her. Is she still shooting?

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Iunno if it was a joke - she's been doing that since she was about 1.5 years old - we took her to the WAP, and after the elephant show, she says "elephant say pffffftttt," and it's stuck.

She took a pic of a dolphin with the T1 the other day. It's a bit blurry cuz she was scared of getting spashed.

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    She hasn't quite got that macro button thingy down yet - her chinchilla:

Here she uses the macro button:

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh - I like that #2! It's really amazing that this output is coming from a 4(?) year old! I was amazed watching her, but she really does take her photography seriously.

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    It's funny, really... When she first started shooting, we'd get questioned all the time "is that a real camera?" My daughter would then go to show people the pics she just took.

We still get looks of perplexion/amazement when Ximina shoots, but not quite as often. She knows how to operate the camera better thany my wife.

She's still 3 though, 4 next month. 10.11.01 (notice the cool pallendromic birthdate I picked for her?)

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Binary to boot!

14. Greg, very nice captures. I really like the last 3 ones, the composition and her expression are great. I do agree there is a slight degree of harshness. I am still learning post-processing so I really don't know, but just wonder how it would look like with a little bit less sharpening.

And your little darling is a good phtographer. As others have said before, it's genetic without a doubt.

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Like the expression on the last shot, but agree with Sandi on her comments, (my God, that's a first)! :biggrin:
    Sooooo, when did you pick up a 2X? I must've missed the announcement!

16. Steve, you're so funny!! LOL At least you had the stones to admit it!! :wink:

Greg, I think the diffuser dome wd have softened the light in the sunshine pics. Also, you might want to open up your aperture more if there's a busy background to 'focus' the attention on her face. I've run into this quite a bit with shooting birds so I'll drop it down to 5.6 or even less, all depends my distance from the bird. I can't tell what you were using as the EXIF is gone. Taking pics in sunlight with light bouncing off the water is an art form, getting it right is extremely difficult. You've done very well under these circumstances though. Glad to hear your little Anselette Adams is still budding....

Sorry about the fact that you actually were trying for shapes in the first one. Didn't realize that's what you were aiming for.

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yup, I tell people that her birthday is a binary pallendrome, and people look at me strange.

18. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks... Yeah, I'm always oversharpening. I'll try them with a little less sharpening.

19. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I think the diffuser dome wd have softened the light in the sunshine pics.
    Yeah, first time I ever shot without it. I wanted to see what kind of difference it made. Especially since it eats so much light. I hope Metz makes a TTL module soon! I miss using it - seems the SB800 is so weak.

Also, you might want to open up your aperture more if there's a busy background to 'focus' the attention on her face. I've run into this quite a bit with shooting birds so I'll drop it down to 5.6 or even less
    shot at f/4.5 - I tried f/2.8 but the shutter speed was way too fast. At f/4.5 the shutter was already 1/1000" - I guess I shouldn't have been so lazy and just gone and got my ND filters, but I wanted to see how well FP did. Actually, I normally do these shots with my SLR/n - much better control over DOF. But I'm always trying new things. I guess this 'new thing' just doesn't work too well.

I can't tell what you were using as the EXIF is gone.
    I double checked, EXIF's there - I'm careful not to strip the EXIF on my photos, even though it eats lots of space. I may have to start stripping EXIF though as I'm running short on space on my website.

Taking pics in sunlight with light bouncing off the water is an art form
    I guess I need more practice, LOL!

Sorry about the fact that you actually were trying for shapes in the first one. Didn't realize that's what you were aiming for.
    You needent appologize... If you didn't see it without me saying anything, it obviously doesn't work.

20. Sorry, guess the EXIF gets stripped when posted here, I've got a little program that I can right click on a posted pick but it gave me a "no exif" answer. My mistake.

Funny how you managed to take pics in a day with too much light, when we're usually dealing with too little light!! LOL The perils we face!