C-17 Up Close & Personal

Real Name
Ken St John
Arranged a tour today for some members of the local AFA Chapter at McChord AFB. We had a short visit with a C-17 on the flight line (unfortunately, we never left the ground!! Next time!!)

Here's a few pictures:

#1 Some C-17's on the ramp

p110636150-4.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 The interior (can fit two semi trailers with room to spare!!)

p255310732-4.jpg

#3 The front office (the guy in the seat owns a local photo store ... he forgot his camera!!

p480857472-4.jpg

R

redeye

nice pics! the c-17's look pretty big.. we have c-5's here at the local airport where i live. are they bigger thank the c-17's? (i don't know anything about planes) :biggrin:

Nice shots, thanks for sharing. But the inside of that plane sure does look clean. Man, those Air Force guys have all the luck.

Real Name
Ken St John
Nice shots, thanks for sharing. But the inside of that plane sure does look clean. Man, those Air Force guys have all the luck.

Actually, it was sort of beat up. These airframes are all fairly new (within the past 7 or 8 years or less). This particular airframe actually showed a lot of wear & tear. Between every humanitarian mission you have heard about (i.e. tsunami relief), Afghanistan, Iraq, Antarctica, and literally hundreds of other places, these C-17's are seeing a LOT of use!!

Thanks for looking.

I wish more folks could see what a terrific job these young men and women do for us every day. Given all of the XXXX from the media and from some politicians, it's amazing sometimes that there are so many who are still willing to stand up, take responsibility, and go out and make a difference in the world.

We're a very lucky nation to have these young folks around.

Cheers!!

Ken

B

Blue

nice pics! the c-17's look pretty big.. we have c-5's here at the local airport where i live. are they bigger thank the c-17's? (i don't know anything about planes) :biggrin:

Fr. what I know, C5 can carry a lot more cargo but C17 can land on bad runways (like afghanistan's) and also can carry 1 whole M1A1 (ready for battle).

Actually, it was sort of beat up. These airframes are all fairly new (within the past 7 or 8 years or less). This particular airframe actually showed a lot of wear & tear. Between every humanitarian mission you have heard about (i.e. tsunami relief), Afghanistan, Iraq, Antarctica, and literally hundreds of other places, these C-17's are seeing a LOT of use!!

Yeah, they're working the crap out of those guys. They do a great job though. It's ashamed we had to downsize the military so much. It really puts a strain on the people who are currently serving.

I'm pretty familiar with old airplanes. We had the oldest A-6 in the Navy, in my squadron. It was so old, that we actually got it from the Marines...LOL. When it was finally retired in the early 90's, the Marines reclaimed it, and made it into a static display up at Cherry Point. I think it went into service back around 1960, and I was still flying it in the late 80's. They sure don't make them like they use to.:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom