C-47A N47E “Miss Virginia” at Prestwick Airport.

Real Name
Ken
Is she still air worthy? I am assuming so. But in either event, you did her justice in your image. Nice shooting.

--Ken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is she still air worthy? I am assuming so. But in either event, you did her justice in your image. Nice shooting.

--Ken
Thanks Ken, she is one of 14 that flew from America to UK.
The Squadron departed from Oxford, Connecticut (KOXC); stop to refuel in Goose Bay Airport (CYYR) in Newfoundland, Canada; refuel at Narsarsuaq Airport (BGBW) in southern Greenland; refuel at Reykjavik Airport (BIRK) in Iceland; and refuel a final time at Prestwick Airport (EPIK) on the Western coast of Scotland.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
These birds were supporting the city of Berlin back in 1948/49.
The Soviets tried to starve the city out. General Clay and General Tunner organized a skylift.
The planes were known as "Raisin bombers" in Berlin because chocolate and raisins were thrown out before the planes landed at Tempelhof airport. The children loved it. Every 3 minutes a plane landed.
The skylift was active from January 1948 to September 1949. It is told that 31 US soldiers died by accidents.

This support is something to be proud of
Klaus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These birds were supporting the city of Berlin back in 1948/49.
The Soviets tried to starve the city out. General Clay and General Tunner organized a skylift.
The planes were known as "Raisin bombers" in Berlin because chocolate and raisins were thrown out before the planes landed at Tempelhof airport. The children loved it. Every 3 minutes a plane landed.
The skylift was active from January 1948 to September 1949. It is told that 31 US soldiers died by accidents.

This support is something to be proud of
Klaus
Yes Klaus the kites were heavily involved with the Berlin Airlift, they even brought coal into Berlin......amazing story regarding them and their crews.

Harry

I saw her at Oxford, CT and witnessed her leaving for England. I'll post a shot or two in an upcoming thread.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom