C&C - Great Blue Heron Harmony

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PGB, Nov 20, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Yesterday I had the opportunity to go shooting. I haven't been in a few weeks and finally after all of the pestering by Frank I decided I would get up at 5am and take the hour drive to the Dam. We had gone to see if we could get some Eagles, we saw them but they did not come to "the Tree" where they hang out.

Here are a few that I have been able to process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

45238955-O.

45238966-O.

45239007-O.

45238992-O.

45238978-O.

45239021-O.
    Thanks for looking.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Patrick,
    They are all beautiful.

Can't go wrong with such a great bird as the GBH.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Great shots, especially the flight/spread wings. Had to do a double-take there when I saw the cat in the last one.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks Gale! It is an excellent creature.

Regards.

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Yes, I was surprised by this too. I came across the pair and they were quite cordial to each other. Very surprising but cute I thought. Not sure if they were sharing a catch though.

Thanks for looking,

6. Very nice and sharp images.. What setup are you using patrick?

7. Patrick, it looks like getting up early paid off. Great job on all these.

8. Beautfully done Patrick, my favorite is the 2nd one

What are you shooting with?

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Hi all. Thanks for the comments. I was using the D2x with Nikon 300f4 with 1.4TC attached.

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots Patrick. Sorry about the eagles.

11. Beautiful shots, Patrick. Surprised to see that little cat in the picture - guess she's waiting for leftovers from the GBH.

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Patrick :

Nice work. I'll offer a bit of C&C, but it's not negative in nature, just a few spots for "tweaking" perhaps.

I like the shots - what's not to like about tight photos of GBHs ? - but I would suggest trying D-Light on several of the shots, the first being a prime example, to bring up some of the shadowed areas a bit. It's tough getting the balance on a bird like the GBH with the whites blowing so easily, but D-Light might give you a bit more balance. The change with the application of D-Light (or Digital DEE in earlier versions of NC - I still use that on my laptop when travelling) should be subtle, not large. BTW, run D-Light/DDEE early in processing, certainly before any curves adjustments, as it alters the histograms substantially. I usually sharpen after the DDEE step as well, because it seems to alter sharpening halos (occasionally).

I can't see the EXIFs for your shots, so I'm hampered in commenting on DOF from an aperture perspective, but several shots could have benefited from a bit longer DOF, most especially the last shot with the cat, but also ones like No. 2 as well, where the body is a bit OOF. Of course, another person's hindsight's always pretty accurate, and I'll wager that you weren't thinking about trying to get the cat in clean focus along with the GBH just to please me. :wink:

All that said, nice shots from a great day out. The GBHs I've encountered in my travels in WI and TX of late have been far more skittish, staying far away, and didn't lend themselves to any shots nearly as nice as yours.

John P.

13. Patrick...These are excellent. I don't see much of your work on the forum but I really like these.

14. Patrick
    No rust from not shooting these are very nice indeed. Hope you get the eagles next time

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Glad you could make it out yesterday Patrick. I enjoyed it, even if we didn't get any Eagle shots. If it's any consolation, they didn't stop by the tree today either. :rolleyes:

Very nice shots. :smile:

16. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Man I like the 2nd one it's not just sharp and well exp but I dig the pose :wink:

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

18. With all of these terrific bird shots I'm seeing on the Cafe - is it safe to assume that most are shot using a teleconverter? In other words, a tele of 300 max wouldn't "cut the mustard"?

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Diane,

I went shooting at the dam again on Sunday. I had my 300 2.8 + 1.4 TC (420mm) and my 70-200VR + 1.7 TC (120 - 340mm). I took twice as many shots with the 70-200VR + 1.7 TC. That isn't always the case, but there are certainly situations where you can get great shots with this combo.

Having said that, I still want a 600 f4. :tongue:

20. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    John,

I'll try to work on that PP technique this week. Hopefully, i'll have a little time.

Everyone,

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them all. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

Regards,