C1 and Helicon question

I installed the Helicon plug-in into C1 and wondered how others used it with raw. I know Helicon has a raw in - dng out option (which I like) when used with LR. However, it seems when using the plug-in with C1 that is not an option as the files come into Helicon as tiff files.
I know when I use the Helion app I can bring raw files into Helicon but can I do this through the C1 plugin?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Stacking programs never really work with RAW files, they are always converted to images before being processed. While they may claim to work with RAW files, or appear to do so, all they really do is run a standard RAW converter and do the stacking based on the output from that.
Go ahead and stack the TIFF files and you will get good results.

If you really wanted to pre-process RAW files before stacking you could do this first, and then feed the results as TIFFs to Helicon.

Stacking programs never really work with RAW files, they are always converted to images before being processed. While they may claim to work with RAW files, or appear to do so, all they really do is run a standard RAW converter and do the stacking based on the output from that.
Go ahead and stack the TIFF files and you will get good results.

If you really wanted to pre-process RAW files before stacking you could do this first, and then feed the results as TIFFs to Helicon.
Helicon will save as dng. That allows importing into C1 with all raw options.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I don't know about C1, but I have full raw options when I import .tif pano and HDR files created from raw images into ACR/PS.
True, but they are not RAW, they have been processed into images. Having RAW editing options doesn't mean that the input is RAW. They are probably 16 bit TIFF, which for most purposes is every bit as good as RAW.
(There is even a Topaz program that turns JPG files into RAW DNG files so ACR or Lightroom can process them with all the RAW options.)

Perhaps I'm being too pedantic.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom