Cabbage White butterfly

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    About the only time you can find these very common butterflies willing to pose is early in the morning when they appear to be sipping dew off flowers. You likely have seen these white butterflies fluttering about just about everywhere, especially around gardens that contain plants in the cabbage family. Not as handsome as other butterflies, but when seen up close they do have some subtle coloration.
    Second photo is really poor, but does show the yellow color on the outer wing surfaces.

Jerry Snider
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    What they really look like

This is a better pic showing the outer wing coloration.

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

3. Hi Jerry, these are beautiful shots. The iTTL really balanced the flash well giving you good color and definition. Well done.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry those are lovely. I am pretty sure I've seen those before, but I never noticed the coloration until you pointed it out...Beautiful captures...and thanks for the science lesson!

5. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Great shots Jerry.

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Leigh, I bet you have a number of these fluttering about that nice garden!!
    In flight, they look completely white and rather boring. When still, not quite as boring but certainly not flashy.
    Jerry Snider

7. Nicely done Jerry, they always seem to flutter away on me just when I am ready to take the picture.

Martin

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Jerry. I like the furry body, and as Gordon said, you held the highlights very well for such a light colored subject.

9. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    These are beautiful. I've seen them but never realised they were butterflys! Thought they were pretty moths!