Cache: questions :)...

Hello all,

I am trying to free up some space on my hard drive, and I find myself using 40GB of space for the Adobe Camera Raw Caches. That makes me wonder how I could better manage that, but I cannot seem to find useful answers on the net. So I ask here :smile:!

So, is 40GB of Cache too much? My workflow is: I use Bridge for a first run through the pictures and use Camera Raw to make first changes, then import in Photoshop and continue, all using Bridge. When I'm finished, I import the images in Lightroom and keyword everything from there (I sometimes also directly input in Lightroom and use the Camera Raw of the Develop module directly, so I don't use Bridge in those cases).

So, I understand the Cache helps in a faster loading of already seen images, but I (almost) never use Bridge to view images, after importing them in Lightroom. Should I then decrease the size of the Cache? Does Lightroom has its own Cache too? Is it better to use an additional external USB disk for the Cache?

Many questions, thank you for all the help!
Take care,
Gabriel

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I recently completed a new computer build, I've asked this question on the NAPP forum. After a back and forth on the forum, I have the OS, programs, etc, LR & CS5 on an SSD, the image file location and the the LR cat on a 1tb internal hd, and the PS scratch disk, Bridge & LR cache(seoarate folders for each) on another internal(raid 0)drive.
Back up files are on external hd's.
This is response from "a Senior Forum Member" to a question about how his separate was set up with the folders:

Okay, for PS, the path is just the drive (S:\)

For LR, S:\Lightroom Cache, I think it's set to 50 GB (out of 500 GB for the drive)

Bridge is S:\Bridge Cache, with the size slider set a little less than halfway.

Thank you Keith for your comment, I appreciate! One day I'll also build a new computer, as what I have for the moment is sufficient for my needs (in most cases...).

I am wondering to do the same as you with the Bridge @ LR Cache on an extra external drive (as my iMac doesn't accept extra internal drives). If so, what for external should should I "at least" use as to not be actually slower than if I continued to use the internal drive of the iMac (which also has all the OS and applications on it)?

Thank you!
Take care,
Gabriel

Not a mac user, so I'm not sure what to say. I know that my 1tb drive(for image files)and the SSD are closely matched for speed(both are sata3 w/64mb cache and the 1tb is a 7200 rpm). The drives(in raid 0) that I use for the scratch disk & cache are matched to each other(they came from my previous system) at sata2 w/32mb cache and 7200 rpm and are also internal. As for externals, because of connection(usb or even firewire) things slow down and you may not see any benefit.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom