1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

"Cactus" triggers not working in D300 hotshoe?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by PeteZ28, Sep 6, 2008.

1. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    I have a set of the "Cactus" PT-04 radio triggers. The transmitter has NEVER worked in the hotshoe of my D200 or D300, but it works fine in my old K1000. Whenever I use the trigger I have to use the sync cord from the transmitter to the body. Not that big a deal but it does get a little annoying.

Am I missing something here? A camera setting? Is this normal?

2. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    I had the same problem with one of the V2s recievers...3 of them worked via hotshoe..and one didn't. I ended up buying sync cords for all. I think you get more misfires on the hotshoe if the contacts shift. Even when I used the Trigger on my d3 I just used the pc sync cable.

3. One of my transmitters won't work if I tighten it down on the hot shoe using the thumb-wheel; however, if I just slide it on with the thumb-wheel backed all the way off and let the tension of the pins hold it in place, it works fine.

4. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Thanks all for the replies, sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread I have barely been home the last two days!

Bob Walters, I'll give that a shot, may very well be the problem. I think Nikons have "looser" shoes than some other brands.

5. ya, definately check the contacts. In adddition, try changing the batteries in the units.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.