Cades Cove Picture Bust

I live about an 90 minutes from Cades Cove Tennessee and my family and I like to visit a few times a year. So earlier last week my family and I made plans to spend the afternoon their last Wednesday. It was a rainy day and instead of calling it off we decided to go. Apparently because of the rain there were not very many cars in the park so that was great. Upon arrival we immediately we started seeing several turkeys and deer. Then about 1/3 of the way into the loop we had out first bear siting. The bear was curled up in a tree and could not see its face, just its back side. Then about half way we saw our second bear, same situation curled up in a tree and could not see its face. Then on the back side of the loop a bear and its cub was about to cross the road. We immediately pulled over, I jump out and begin shooting trying to keep my distance while still keeping the bears in site. The bears turned and started back into the woods and I'm shooting at a furious pace trying to capture my best pic ever. The bears eventually walked out of site into the woods and I returned to the car. As I began reviewing my pics they were all bad. My shutter speed was 1/30th or slower so all the pics are blurry. One of my best sitings of bears and wrong camera settings. Lesson learned!:Angry:

Thanks for looking and any comments greatly needed!

DSC_5116-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_5107-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Boss we all been there. Up till 4am photographing owls in flite. The next morning a doe and her fawn are licking the humming bird feeder just outside the door. Grab camera and every thing is total blown out. High iso. Ouch! At least you were near home, not on some trip a long way from home.

Sounds to me like you need to plan another 90 minute drive, real soon now :biggrin:

I have not met anyone who has not had an experience like yours. If I had a dollar for every time I have screwed up I could buy that new Nikon 800mm lens :eek::eek:

I just spent 4 fantastic days photographing. Day 1, check about 1200 images from the day, realize I had set my WB to Incandescent prior to the trip for some AF fine tuning. Luckily I shot in RAW, so an easy fix. Last day of the trip, I went to make an ISO change, hit the darned BKT instead. All this while a Grey Fox is running around in front of my face, me flat on the ground. That was annoying.

Main thing, learn from it, don't beat yourself up too much about it. My wife likes to tell me:
"Don't worry, you can get another shot just as good as that one." :biggrin:

She is wrong, I may get another I like, but it won't be the same. :wink:

Man... I hate when that happens. How lucky to live near the Smokys though. . If I lived 90 minutes from Cades Cove i would be broke from buying gas all the time.

Know the feeling Mike ….
last visit to Yellowstone I had a big male moose walk right across the road in front of me …. 1st shot of the morning and basically the same thing …. blurry, blurry , blurry --- still kicking myself for not getting myself ready LOL

Happens to everybody --- just gives you an excuse to get back there ….

ron

Nah these are great. Just post them in the abstract section and pretend you ment to do it on purpose! But seriously this is the number one reason that I keep my camera in program mode and auto ISO as it's primary "resting" state. Just in case I run across something rapid fire just like this situation. Pull, point, shoot.

Robert, Bill, Rich, Ron, Andy, and Jeff

Guys thanks for the all encouragement, I will definitely remember this incident. I guess thats just part of the learning process. Tough to swallow. I thought this post might stir up some similar stories. Thanks for sharing.

Lesson Learned: Rainy days means auto ISO!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Hey, Mike!

Even tougher.... now I'm sure the kids think they will see bears every time you guys go to the Smokies! Expectations are high now! LOL!

I think I've done about all the bonehead photo mistakes there are....some much more than once!

Seriously though, if you are going to use auto ISO, get out and try it first. Every time I use it, I just don't like the results. Must be me setting it up wrong....but don't assume it will solve all problems until you've practiced with it. Set up the camera and then go from inside the house to outside taking photos of Bella, etc. Try to mimic the conditions you might face.

A big help for me if to set up the camera for the conditions I'll be shooting in...BEFORE I'm even close to taking a picture.

And just remember, it's not THAT far to go again.... :tongue:

Karen just make sure in your sensitivity settings that its set for a hand holdable shutter speed. For my shaky hands thats an 1/80 for my wideangle zooms. I crank that number up to at least the focal length of the lense for the telephotos.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
LOL!

That's the whole point of setting up the camera BEFORE you are shooting. My point is to think through what you anticipate capturing....visualize the shot and then think about the settings to get that shot. Regardless of tripod or handheld, subject movement is an even bigger consideration. My osprey shots were handheld with a new-to-me long lens, so I made sure I had a high shutter speed. My setup is very different if I'm anticipating wildlife versus landscapes!

Real Name
Randy
now i'm ready to go back

we were there a month ago and saw a few deer and nothing else

when you look thru that VF you should be looking at SS 1st

Easy ISO has made increasing SS so easy now, you don't even have to take your eye away from the VF

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom