Cades Cove, the Mill

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Doug, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    One I captured last week at Cades Cove of the John P Cable Mill with nice morning light:

[​IMG]

Note the few dogwood blooms dropping in for a visit at the top of picture.

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    nicely done great image

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Lowolf, I liked it, is why I shared.

Doug

4. Very nice! Great light!

Nancy

5. Beautiful place, enhanced by great light - very nice Doug!

6. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Beautiful light and photo Doug! How are the wildflowers coming along now? Did the cold and snow affect them a lot?

7. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Very nice Doug. Everyone is right about the light. It is great.

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    thanks to all you nice folks for your comments!

Doorman, I have not been back since Friday a week ago tomorrow. I have to say, it's not encouraging by what happened at my home. I had full leaves coming on a japanese maple, and a tulip tree, and they both got completely fried. My azelia was preparing to bloom, and it was lik you put it in a furnace and blasted it. My pink dogwood, was beautiful, also fried.

I'll go Sat or Sunday this week. The good news for the mountains is, the wildflowers there are used to harsher climate, and many times they are under cover of the canopy of the mountains.

Also optimistic, many flowers other than Trilliams had not even bloomed yet, so maybe they were saved, I hope. :)

Doug

9. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Nice angle on this Doug, good job!

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Wouldn't you know Forshey would notice the one thing that I liked best about this image. The angle. The angle was achieved by getting down low, and looking up at the mill, and taking it from this position and as far over in front of the walkway as I did, makes the walkway look more uphill than it really is, adds to depth of field, and generally just gives a great PERSPECTIVE, IMO.

Thanks Randy for picking up on that and for the attaboy!'

The one thing I did have to guard against was a stinkin ashtray barrel next to the split rail fence on the right. I did NOT want that in my image. Of course, it's there to keep smokers from burning the mill down with a stray butt.

Doug

11. Perspective is everything...great job on this indeed!

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanx Fritz!

13. Great composition Doug.

14. Good shot Doug, and paddle wheel looks like it may still be working. Very nice.

15. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thank you David.

Thanks Gordon. Yes, the mill is kept functional to show people how things worked in the days of old. In fact the water trough had to be replaced I believe is why it's as light as it is.

I think the only milling they do is purely for show, not for dough. (pun intended). But it is a functional waterwheel.

Doug

16. I agree, very nice!

17. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Honestly, the roof and sky have a purple color cast

Regards

RFC

18. I like it. Well done!

19. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Anthony and Alex!

Well, eleven of 12 so far liking the photo is acceptable to me. Can't have 100% satisfaction with anything. It could have been because I Was playing Purple Rain on my CD player maybe...