Cafe Challenge #11 - Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by Kevin Scott, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Cafe Challenge #11 - Topic Thread (Updated rule)

It's time for our next challenge!

I thought we might do something just a little bit different than other Challenges. Since post processing is such a huge part of this digital photography age, I thought it might be fun to incorporate a little bit of Photoshop (or any other editing program) along with a lot of creativity and just a dash of good photography. This might be the perfect opportunity to take a blah photo and manipulate it and enter it in the challenge. Of course if you are unable to take a blah photo, please feel free to enter a magnificent photo which has been manipulated in some way to make photo art. So what's the topic?

Topic = Do you PHART? Then let 'er rip!!

THE RULES:

- One picture per participant
    - Feel free to manipulate your photo in any creative way you see fit. Maybe "Out of bounds" is your style, or impressionistic art like watercolor, pen & ink, crayon, or colored pencil. Maybe you like mosaics or matting and framing your shots. Anything goes as long as it has been manipulated artistically in a photo editing program.
    - One can edit/change the text of the entry as often as necessary, but the posted pics are to remain unaltered once posted.
    - Pictures must have been taken during the submission dates.
    - Post processing (pharting) must be performed during the submission dates. {edit: added additional requirement}
    - Somewhat controversial pictures are permitted, but please use your judgment and keep it within reason.
    - Please include the basic steps taken so that everyone can learn from your exceptional pharting skills!
    - Please include exif data when submitting your entry. If submission has already been entered, please feel free to edit post to include basic exif data.{edit: added additional requirement}
    SUBMISSION:

Submission for this challenge starts now - Sunday, August 21, 2005 at 01:50 utc/gmt
    And will end on - Monday, September 05, 2005 at 23:59 utc/gmt.

Pictures must be taken within this time period.

To avoid time disputes the following website will be used as our time standard:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

So, what ya waiting for? Start pharting and stop reading this! :wink:
    Please feel free to phart in the Submission Thread.

When the submission time has elapsed I'll put up a stop pharting message and add a voting thread and explain the voting procedure in that thread at the time it's posted.

You now have my official permission to start pharting! :roll:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  2. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Do you want "before" and "afters" both?

3. I'm a bit dissapointed. My photoshop skills suck! I guess now would be a good time to learn.

4. pharting

What a cool theme!

We might get some very artistic submissions.....this will be a hard challenge!

So please excuse me now, i have to PHART!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

BTW: what the *#%* does phart mean :?: :?: Photo art :?: :?:

5. I'd say just the Afters. Maybe the winners could then present before and afters if there is interest.

6. Justin, sorry to disappoint. ;) This is an excellent opportunity to hone your PS skills.

I might add that for those who use Photoshop you may want to visit ATNCentral and have a peek at some of the free actions available for download. Sorry, I'm not familiar with other editing applications but maybe someone can chime in if they know of something useful.

This doesn't have to be overly complex. Some actions involve just 1 click. You're only limited by your imagination.

Good luck!! :)

7. You got it! Phart = PHoto + ART

8. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Is it Ok if the picture was taken earlier but the artistic PPing was done during the submission period?

The reason I am asking is that I have a picture that I took a while back but have been playing around with it recently. Its a simplistic kitchen countertop setting but I like the outcome. I have never submitted to a contest but would like to try it out in this contest.

Please advise.

Thanks.

9. Hi Jay,
    Sorry for taking so long to respond but I wanted to run this request by the "powers that be". Since this is my first time hosting a challenge, I didn't want to rock the boat by answering inappropriately.

The decision was made to keep true to the rules of the Challenge and require that both the taking of the photo as well as the post processing performed take place within the submission time limit. So older photos cannot be used even if the pp is done now.

If your subject matter is still life, would it be possible to reshoot the scene and use that to participate?

Thanks for your understanding! :smile:

10. Just to provide some more ideas of what is considering pharting, how about:
    * collages
    * combining portions of multiple shots into one to enhance a scene
    * selective coloring of a black and white shot
    * caricatures

I'll add some more to this list if needed

11. I never new this was going on....
    It will be fun to watch what people come up with.
    Mind you I think i'll just WATCH!

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Doug

Come on......Post your best pal....

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Tko

Just find and action and run it and post the results.

Feivels gothic glow is always great on a landscape.

find at

www.atncentral.com

Join in and play.

14. Hi Friends,
    I have been away for awhile. I picked up a copy of Painter 9 and have been learning to Phart like crazy.

I have been hanging out at a Photo Art Forum called Innographx. Several of you are also members there. If you have any interest in Photo Art, you might want to check that site out... here is the link;

http://www.innographx.com/forum/index.php

Here is an example of a picture which I sketched and then painted over in Painter 9 in a water color;
    medium. medium.
    http://www.pbase.com/interactivephotos/image/47896761/original.jpg

Here's another that I did in oils;
    medium.

http://www.pbase.com/interactivephotos/image/48257186/original.jpg

One more and I'll quite. Here is a chalk drawing I did;
    medium.

http://www.pbase.com/interactivephotos/image/48082012/original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005