Cafe Challenge #12 - Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by dbirdsong, Sep 26, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Cafe Challenge #12 - Voting Thread
    We will follow the previous voting procedures which I have copied here for your reference.

THE RULES FOR VOTING:

Everyone is allowed three votes:

1st place: 3 points
    2nd place: 2 points
    3rd place: 1 point

Make sure to mention the name (member name and real name if different and provide by the poster) of the artist and the title of the artwork!

Voting begins now and will end on Sunday - Oct 2, 2005 - at 23:59 utc/gmt standard time.

To avoid time disputes here is the link to our time standard for this:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

2. All the images are just great. The voting seems to get harder with each challenge. Here are my three votes:

1. Pat Bramlett (3Pts) for Moving at the speed of Mallard
    2. NBurwell (2Pts) for passing along. Please let us know how you did this image.
    3. Michael Schuster (1pt) for singing string

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    This is probably harder than trying to come up with an image to submit. Congratulations to all on such fine photographs.

3pts to MCS for "singin-string

2pts to Panos for "Dancing Delight"

1pt to Bendheim for "Township Fun"

Again, the submissions are all so good it is very hard to pick a favorite.

Thank you for a great challenge.

4. 3 points Township fun
    2 points Moving at the speed of mallard
    1 point Dancing delight

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    1st place--3 points-- mcs--"singing-string"

2nd place--2 points-- nburwell--"passing along"

3rd place--1 point-- Panos--"Dancing Delight"

Honorable mentions for bendheim ("township fun") and Patrick Bramlett ("moving at the speed of mallard")

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    1st place--3 points- "Singin String" by MCS..wonderful concept, Michael. :biggrin:
    2nd place-- 2 points- "Moving At The Speed Of Mallard" by Patrick Bramlett..great panning technique, Patrick :smile:
    3rd place--1 point- "Missing the Train" by Beezle..just a beautiful capture, Beez :smile:

You all dug deep to compete in this contest...I tip my hat to all that participated. Bravo!!! :wink:

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I want to thank everyone that enter the challenge... I just wish I would have had time to have shot something worthy of entering it, but my Sister Annette passed away last Tuesday and things have been very crazy for me since.
    Wow there were some great entries and here are my votes.

Panos Dancing Delight 3 points
    MSC singin-string 2 points
    Bendheim Township Fun 1 point

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    This was tough, but I finally came to this conclusion.

3 points - Patrick Bramlett's "Moving At The Speed Of Mallard" - I've looked at it so many times. I love it.

2 points - NeilCam's "Crash Drive" - Because it made me laugh. Not many pictures do that.

1 point - Michael Schuster's (MCS) "Singin String" - Simple, but beautiful. You can almost hear the string.

9. 1st place: "Mallard Motion" by Patrick G. Bramlett 3 points | Excellent capture amazing combination of pan/motion/speed

2nd place: "singin-string" by Michael Schuster 2 points | Very good capture and frame

3rd place: "Wheels" by Justin 1 point | Great capture and motion speed

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice work folks.....
    3 points Dancing Panos
    2 points Township Fun--Peter
    1 point Wheels TKO

11. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Here's my vote.
    #1- 3 pts- Mallard Motion - Patrick
    #2- 2 pts- Wheels - TKO
    #3- 1 pt- Township Fun- Bendheim

All were good.
    Others that stood out.
    Corbetts Glen
    Crash Dive
    Singing String
    Passing Along

12. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Lots of good ones. My vote ...

1st - Panos - Dancing Delight
    2nd - mcs - Singing String
    3rd - bendheim - Township Fun

13. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    here's mine

3 points to Speed of Mallard Patrick
    2 points to Township Fun Peter
    1 point to Wheels TKO

Some really good stuff this time. I leaned towards motion in the pic instead of stopping the motion.

14. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Tough decision, because I don't think the participants were very succesful. Too "obvious" visualisations dominate.

I'm giving "Township Fun" (Bendheim) 1 point (3rd place if you like to see it that way), because it conveys a feeling of genuine atmosphere. But the composition should be improved. Second and first places are vacant.

15. My votes:

1st Place (3 pts) - Patrick Bramlett, Moving at the speed of mallard.

2nd Place (2 pts) - Panos, Dancing Delight

3rd Place (1 pt.) - Singin-String

Honorable mention - Bendheim, Township fun

16. Bjorn - Although everyone is welcome to their opinion - it's noted that you didn't participate. There could be all kinds of reasons for that including the possibility that you couldn't come up with a compelling entry either.

My votes:

3 points- mcs - singin string
    2 points - Bendheim's - "Township fun"
    1 point - Patrick Bramlett's - Moving at the speed of mallard

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    3 points to Gregory "gho" for Wind
    2 points to Panos for Dancing Delight
    1 point to Peter Bendheim for Township Fun

Honorable Mention to NB23 for Nerve Attack
    Honorable Mention to Nick "nburwell" for Passing Along

I wanted to include the three deadly sins of Drinking, Smoking, and Scateboarding. In my neighboring town of Scottsdale AZ, only scateboarding is actually against the law. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. I choose the pictures for fitting the Topic (Showing motion, not stoping it!) and personal taste! But all entrys where great participations!

So here's my vote for Challenge #12 - Motion

1st place: 3 points go to "Wheels" by TKO
    Great panning - I wish I could do it! (... so far still lacking: bike, biker, rain and panning speed...)

2nd place: 2 points go to "Mallard Motion" by Patrick Bramlett
    wow, what a capture, the duck looks almost like a ballet dancer! (BTW You're the first husband, I know getting honorably mentioned from his wife :wink: )

3rd place: 1 point goes to "Township Fun" by bendheim
    Definitely motion and showing some emotions, too!

Honorable mentions to:
    Chris 101 - You still got a mechanic watch, that's safety? :wink:
    gbenic - That's motion, are you still dizzy? :wink:
    and all the other participants!

BTW:
    We're a such a friendly little community here at the Cafe! And it's so much fun participating in these challenges! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let's keep it that way, and not get to dead serious! :frown: (there are enought dead serious places)

19. 3 for TKO's wheels, I really like the feeling it conveys
    2 for Patrick's Mallard (I couldn't capture a frozen chicken in a supermarket)
    1 for Michael's G(guitar)-string

PB

20. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, this is why I don't like participating in these kinds of contests - there's always so many great photos, that there's now way in *ell I'm gonna win anything. But hey, it's cool.

I figure it's good for some diversity anyways, and I'll contribute my off-kilter 2 bits:

3pts: "Passing Along" - now that's motion, I like also how the leading lines work in this photo.

2pts: "Township Fun" - this is what being kids is all about - having fun in motion. Beautifully captured, and I love the saturated colors.

1pt: "Dancing Delight:" Very sharp, good use of multiple exposure - I used to do this kind of stuff all the time with film, but stopped with digital for some strange reason. Perfect lighting, perfect exposure.

Honorable mentions?
    singin-string - great use of motion in a still life shot that draws the eye into the photo. The lighting works well for this photo too. There's just too many awsome photos, I would have liked to give this one a point too.

Mallard Motion: Perfectly captured, but I personally like my photos to tell a little story, and the background is so nicely blured, that it kinda takes the bird out of context (but that's just me, and I'm weird so feel free to ignore it).

Wheels: I this one as well, but it feels somewhat awkward without the top part of the torso. Perhaps if the crop was a bit lower so it showed the wheels only? Iunno....

Missing the train: I think you missed the train. Since the contest was "motion" I think the train should have been in focus and the child in the background blurred (OOF). But it's cool the way you presented it too.

Nerve Attack: Very nice use of sepia, noise and mutliple images - really shows the strength of the shot.

Gravitron: Nice attempt, but I can't tell what it is - makes a nice abstract though. Reminds me of running gel electrophoresis.

Motion of a Movement measuring the minutes: Whow what a title - I love this shot - it's so sharp and clear it looks like a product shot. But the motion doesn't show well in the shot, and I missed it the first time I looked.