Cafe Challenge # 14 Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Oct 25, 2005.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Lets have some fun with this next challenge.
    The Topic of challange #14 is......Make Me Smile !

Same standard rules as past challenges:

THE RULES:

- One picture per participant
    - One can edit/change the text of the entry as often as necessary, but the posted pics are to remain unaltered once posted.
    - Pictures can be edited in PS but must have been taken during the submission dates.
    - Somewhat controversial pictures are permitted, but please use your judgment and keep it within reason.
    - Please include the EXIF data so that everyone can learn from your exceptional shooting skills and meet the submission time requirements.
    -- The submission thread should not be used for any commentary. Only for submission of your picture.
    - The most important rule of all, have fun and enjoy yourselves.

SUBMISSION:

Submission for this challenge starts now - Tuesday Oct 25 at 13:00 utc/gmt
    And will end on - Tuesday ,November 8th 2005 at 18:59 utc/gmt.

Pictures must be taken within this time period.

To avoid time disputes the following website will be used as our time standard:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

2. Pretty open ended topic there. I think I know what your after, but maybe a bit of clarification would help me out. A sunrise can make me smile, but I don't think thats what you had in mind.

Perhaps figuring out what makes you smile is in fact the challenge :biggrin: Good topic I think I will submit on this one.

3. What would make me smile would be to see at least 30 entries (including mine, and I will submit!)

I wanted to submit for the last challenge but my wife didn't give me permission to use a shot of her... :Shocked:

4. It's a nice topic, for sure, but I can't help thinking that we're getting away from photography-centric themes here. The last few challenges and now this one...I dunno.

I was kind of hoping for a topic that required technical knowledge and creative prowess this time. Perhaps something like, "Color", which the participants would submit images that displays good use of color. Or "Line" in which the participant submits an image that displays good use of line. Stuff like Phaaaaaaarting and "Make me smile" are fun, and stuff, but not what one expects in a photography challenge. I guess it's up to me to win so I get to choose my own topic.

Good luck to all those that submit images!

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Robert,

Great topic! I think it's going to be fun to see what everyone comes up with...Hopefully I can come up with something to enter. I really enjoyed your submission to Challenge#13 as well as the submissions of the other entrants. It's amazing what we learn from these contests...every topic/theme brings something new to our experience photgraphically speaking.

Thanks for winning and thanks in advance for hosting challenge#14!

6. TKO,

IMHO, a photo that makes someone smile is invariably a great candid shot, and candid shots do take a lot of skill :smile:

At least this is my take...

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Clarification

How one interprets the topic "Make Me Smile", depends on one's creativity.....ergo the challenge.

It could be a sunset, a beautiful child, humor, a perfect composition, a funny face, stupid animal tricks, photoshop art, wavy lines, a wedding portrait, music......let your imaginations run wild .

"Images and ideas can be elusive. Capturing the right one requires a clear perception of the goal at hand"

Regards
    RFC

9. So...

... after your "clarification" I don't know if you're saying that it should be a photo of something that makes me smile? Or that I think would make someone else smile? Either? Neither?

Pretty open ended topic, isn't it? Or am I just too dense? (don't answer that!)

Guess I'll have to sit this one out... again.

Good luck to all!!!

Dennis

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

Dinner out helps, so do roses. :cool:

11. If it's a great candid shot, which I agree takes skill, that invariably makes people smile, then why not have the challenge called "Candids" then?

Robert has said:

It could be a sunset, a beautiful child, humor, a perfect composition, a funny face, stupid animal tricks, photoshop art, wavy lines, a wedding portrait, music......let your imaginations run wild .

That's about as generic as it gets. Why not just say, "Look guys. Take a picture of whatever you want. Submit the best one and we'll see who wins!"

Sorry, I don't want to agitate or offend, but I think a little more direction is needed. That's all.

And I for one would like to see the direction of the challenges head in a more tradtional way. Having challenges that, ahem, challenge the participant to display the tradtional photographic virtues. Line, color, texture, pattern, composition, Black and White processing, motion...these kinds of things. Just my opinion. And, like I said above, it's up to me to win one so I can choose.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    that is awesome. I would love to be a wedding photographer and put that in my proof book for the couple. That is hilarious!!!!

13. Sure it's awesome!

I received this picture as an email-chain joke and I was shocked!

14. Is there anyway that you could post the picture on a post in the Cafe? I'm behind the Chinese government's firewall which blocks certain blog sites. Angelfire is one of them.

15. That would be against The forum rules. :biggrin:

16. Why is it a picture of a naked lady? Hmm. That kinda sucks that I can't see it. Maybe someone could be kind enough to mail it to...

marinerwon@hotmail.com

That'd be sweet.

17. Whoa. Thanks for sending that to me. If that were submitted I'd have to vote for it. It certainly did make me smile.

18. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gee thanks.... I just spilled my coffee all over everything! Hilarious. :biggrin: