Cafe Challenge #15 - Results Thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by yokimbo, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Drums please. And the winner is .....

NB23 for "Neeyak Blur" (27pts)

[​IMG]

Second place goes to
    Patrick Bramlett for his entry "One too many" (22pts)

45628578-O.

Third places honors go to both
    Michael Schuster (mcs) for his entry "Watermill" (My Night-time Blur!) (12pts)

original.

AND
    Bjørn (nfoto)
    for his entry "Blur More [IR]" (12pts)

Great work all. The voting thread held some interesting conversation about the topic, blur. While I personally have an opinion about what blur means to me, it was up to each of you what blur meant to you. I purposely left it open ended, so there weren't really any wrong interpretations. Thank you all for your participation.

The torch is now passed to NB23 for the next cafe challenge, or as they say in England(?) the King is dead, long live the King. Congratulations NB23, I look forward to seeing what you pick and all the entries it produces!

2. Congrats to the winners! I obviously missed the mark with my entry as nobody even acknowledged it existed :^(
    oh well I will keep trying, it was fun! Thanks Mr. Kim!
    Dave

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Congrats also from my side. Although my personal favorite was Bjorn's pic, I had a feeling who the winner eventually will be. And the image deserves it.

I think this originally comes from France "Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!". But it escaped my mind to whom it refers.

5. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Congratulations to the Winners!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This was a great topic with many different ways to approach it! And much to learn from one another!

Thanks to Yokimbo for hosting this challenging Challenge :)confused: I may have to get a dictionary:confused:)!

I thought this was a democracy :Shocked: ...... but OK, Hail King: NB23 :wink:

:wink:

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. The king is dead. Long live the king!

Nice work tracking down the origin guys. I saw the variant "The Queen is dead. Long live the Queen!" in the movie ,Elizabeth (linked to IMDb). Although, I have to agree with Michael that this is a democracy in that the next challenge leader is elected. However, once elected the rules of the challenge are made by one person (unless there's a tie). That said, the moderators are the gods of the forums. lol This is all very silly. :)

8. Congratulations NB23, Patrick, Michael and Bjørn! Also Kim for organizing the challenge.

This is my first challenge, and I have to say it has been an interesting experience and challenge, not having done one before.

Thank you to all the other entrants as well! Like Kim said, there is no right or wrong about the intepretation of the theme, and I am sure we have all learnt something and had a good time!

Regards,
    Jonathan

9. So to recapitulate:

• We democratically elect a King/Queen for 2 to 3 weeks (Submission Time + Voting Time) :biggrin:
    • the gods look down on us, and protect us :confused: from whom?..... The dark side?...... Canon FF? :wink: :wink: :wink:
    • and sometimes the gods disguise (just look at Monty's avatar!) and come down to chat and interact with the commonality! :biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:
    • Sounds like a nice place! :biggrin: .......The Nikon democratic Cafe.......The Nikon democratic Heaven! :biggrin: :biggrin:

lol That's funny! :wink:

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

11. Hello Guys!

Thanks for making me the "King" of the Cafe for the next 2 weeks... until I die, of course :wink:

Congratulations to all the participants!

I will come up with an idea for the next challenge. I'm very ambivalent bwtween a more specialized subject or something more mainstream in order to attract more particpants. I would love it to reach 50 entries... The Cafe got bigger so why not?

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama

Congratulations and all hail King NB23!!! :wink: I'd love to see 50 entries....come on everyone, let's get shooting (as soon as we have a new challenge, that is....)

13. Leigh - I'd love to see 50 entries too. If anyone knows someone on the forum who hasn't participated in a challenge recently, send them a private message or something.

NB23 - Just make sure you allow more time than I did. :redface: I must say the way I ran this challenge was very uncharacteristic of me. I miscalculated the dates on more than one occassion. :frown: Ugh. Oh well, as long as everyone had fun, that's all that matters. :smile: Can't wait for the next one. I think I'm hooked on these challenges now.

14. Yokimbo... People can be scared to post pictures and I can understand them to some point. However, it can be a very constructive exercize and even become hooking :biggrin:

The words "Challenge", "Winner" and "first, second and third place" are somewhat judgemental and might scare people. I understand a contest is all about winning... but in the Cafe it should be based on participation, first!

I would like the challenges to reach 50+ entries and over time they could become more and more specialized, making it a very select place to submit, share and learn.

Let's start with more paritcipation first...

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Congratulations to all.. All who entered and all who won.
    Wonderful images.

16. Heh, hope you come up with the topic soon...i'm itching to try and get placed next time :tongue:
    One thing I noticed about this competition was that due to the topic being so open to interpretation, some people were sticking by a certain interpretation of the topic.
    My suggestion may sound dumb, but I think you should aim for a subject open enough to explore, but not so open that there could be major rifts (e.g. motion vs. any blur)
    Looking forward to it and congrats on the big win :cool: