Cafe Challenge #15 - Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by yokimbo, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cafe Challenge #15 - Voting Thread
    Same rules a before.....

THE RULES FOR VOTING:

Everyone is allowed three votes:

1st place: 3 points
    2nd place: 2 points
    3rd place: 1 point

Make sure to mention the name (member name and real name if different and provide by the poster) of the artist and the title of the artwork!

Voting begins now and will end on Wednesday - Nov 30, 2005 - at 12:00 utc/gmt standard time.

To avoid time disputes here is the link to our time standard for this:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

Thanks all for your participation.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. ...glad to make the deadline this time!

Wow so many great works of art! :biggrin:

But to me some didn't quite fit the subjekt :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't want to be nitpicking:frown: , but to me blur means something different then OOF, Bokeh! So for me the challenge subjekt was to capture some (movement?) blur that would add to a good picture.

Sorry, but I kept that in mind while choosing my votes.

So here's my vote for Challenge #15 - Blur

1st place: 3 points go to "Neeyak blur" by NB23
    ...great colors, did you lay the camera on the ground?

2nd place: 2 points go to "One too many" by Patrick Bramlett
    Great idea! While actually driving, would have been a (too) risky blur? :wink:

3rd place: 1 point goes to "Child in Motion" by petert053
    Great shot, you showed the motion while the face is perfectly sharp!

Honorable mentions to:
    viewfinder, RFCNIKON, beaucamera, cmpalmer, nfoto, RayGuselli, dmwphoto, Harry S. and AFS those were stunning images, thanks very much for participating!

4. e-motion...

I have to agree with you Michael, I think the intent of the subject is speed or motion (thus the little play in words for the subject of my submission if anyone noticed...), but Kim did leave it open for interpretation with just the word blur and no further qualification. This is the basis of my vote as well, motion as captured by the camera (artist behind the camera actually).

BTW, Patrick wasn't driving, if you check the speedo, he just had one too many... ;-)

Hard to pick from a such a great bunch of talent, but here are my votes:

1st: "Neeyak blur" by NB23
    Great execution, atmosphere and colour.

2nd: "Child in Motion" by petert053
    Great sense of motion and speed.

3rd: "Watermill" by mcs
    Great ambience and mood.

Congratulation to all other contributors as well, all great pieces of work, and thanks for the opportunity to be part of the challenge.

Regards,
    Jonathan

5. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I enjoyed all, but I thought these did it best.

1. One Too Many by Patrick Bramlett
    Don't try this on your local road

2. Neeyak Blur by NB23
    Now that's blurry

3. Untitled by RayGuselli

The one called Ain't Blur of the a(i)nt on the flower by Jonathan is a great example of selective focus and I would have picked 3rd, except that I felt Ray's creativity should be recognized.

6. Obviously, we have similarly deviating opinions here as in the Abstract contest. I will do my voting according to my understanding of blur which is certainly not confined to motion blur - otherwise we would have to rename most blur filters and the blur tool in PS.

Anyway, here is my voting

1st - nfoto (blur more); because it evokes a feeling I can't describe
    2nd - NB23 (neeyak blur); that's what I would call art motion blur
    3rd - AFS (dry blur); for its sheer beauty.

honorable mention: Patrick (one too many) because it gave me a really good laugh.

regards

7. Voting begins now and will end on Monday - Nov 31, 2005 - at 12:00 utc/gmt standard time.

this can not be right. wednesday perhaps?

8. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Good stuff with this one.

3 points for Watermill By Michael Schuster
    Excellent exposure

2 points for One To Many by Patrick
    On a two lane no less!

1 point for Child in motion by Peter Turner

9. I created my shot working with the loose interpretation- blur. It is open to interpretation by the voter, but I do think that considering the broad nature of the topic, all types of blur should be considered- motion, shallow DOF, etc.
    I therefore am voting accordingly.

1st Place (3 pts)- "Blur More [IR] by Nfoto (Bjørn Rørslett)- Like Harry S. I too find this image stirs me in some strange way I cannot place... the shot is eerie and the grain and blur adds to this sensation. It looks almost like some of the more primitive shots i've seen in history of photography books as far as grain and the photographer's shadow being in the shot...but the IR and fisheye effect adds a new dimension.
    2nd Place (2 pts)- "One Too Many" by Patrick Bramlett- This one makes me laugh, a very innovative and creative twist to the topic and a facet of our lives.
    3rd Place (1 pt.)- "Dragon Heart" by Harry S.- I love the colors, and I like what has been done here with rodenstock-ography (I'm one of its unashamed biggest fans). In my own experience, it is very fun and striking to have very blurred subjects different only slightly in tone and exposure from the background, with that ever so shallow plane of focus allowing you to make out the edges clearly. Beautiful work!

Honorable mentions:
    Viewfinder for "Ain't Blur"- beautiful colors and exposure, nice composition and that dof is very nice :smile:
    Chris Palmer for "What you don't want to see (if you are a fish)"- Very nice and fun shot- I particularly like the sharpness of the eye.

10. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    My vote

Ok... here's what I think:

3-Points to Patrick for "One Too Many" - a shot I've always wanted to take (but for anyone that's ever been to Austin), I've been too afraid to try while driving on MOPAC or I-35!

2-Points to NB23 for "Neeyak Blur" - I was raised in NY/New England and I just now got the title - duh! - and for the record, think about the R's in my name and what I was forced to listen to for most of my life! :eek: Wonderful shot; great angle too!

1-Point to Michael Schuster ("mcs") for "Watermill" - I like the subtleness of the mill's wheel turning in the background - it forces you to study the image and appreciate it even more.

Thanks all!! Wonderful shots!!

11. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I was thinking that we had a few more days too... Oh well...

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Challenge 15 votes

Very interesting and creative vision from the entrants.

3 votes Bjorn
    2 Votes Virginia
    1 Vote Michael Schuester

Think there is some Newton in Bjorn :>))

Honorable Mention to all......

14. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The challenge topic is obviously open to interpretation and I prefer the less obvious variants,

1. (3 points) cm palmer
    2. (2 points) harry s
    3. (1 point ) viewfinder

15. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Excellent work everyone!

Thank you Kim for a great challenge. All of the submissions were great, I enjoyed everyone of them. Its unfortunate that I have to only pick 3 placements.

1st 3 Points -- "Watermill" by MCS

2nd 2 Points -- "Neeyak Blur" by NB23

3rd 1 point -- "Child in Motion" by petert053

Thank you,

16. 1. (3 pts) NB23
    2. (2 pts) PatrickBramlet
    3. (1 Pt) Ray Guselli

17. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Voting keeps getting harder and harder because we are all getting better and better !

3 points - Aint Blur by Viewfinder

2 points - Child in Motion by Peter053

1 point - Minnows in the Kelp by Beaucamera

18. Sorry for the confusion all. Thanks, Dave Watts, for the correction. The voting will end Wednesday - Nov 30, 2005 - at 12:00 utc/gmt standard time, not Monday the 31st for too many reasons.

I really do want to apologize for the confusion. I've been in Japan since November 18th. And, of course, everyday right up until the day I left I was working like crazy to get everything done at work so I could leave for the trip.

Great entries everyone. Time to go explore Japan.

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017