CAFE CHALLENGE #2 VOTING THREAD

The voting booth is now open, and all members of the Nikon Cafe are invited to cast a ballot. I'm
keeping the booth open until Monday night at midnight so the folks who went on the Florida shoot
will have a chance to participate.

Every voter will have a total of 22 voting points to award... 11 for for artistic value and 11 for technical merit.
You may award between 0 and 4 points for each of these categories to an image. In order for your ballot to
be valid, all of your alloted 22 points must be awarded, so you'll need to vote for several pictures.
Contestants cannot vote for their own entry.

The theme of the contest is the innocence and joy of childhood. Vote by specifying the name of the
photographer, and a separate value for T (technical merit) and A (artistic value). Here's a link to the
submissions:

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=295

Since this is an informal contest, and the contestants will value your feedback... particularly if
they are of the "wow" variety... feel free to make comments about why you voted for a particular
picture if you wish. It will add to the fun, and I doubt that it will sway anyone else's votes.

I'll announce the winner shortly after the voting period is over. The winner will select the theme
for CAFE CHALLENGE #3, and manage the contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
Steve
A - 1
T - 2
Comment: Her hair is an especially wonderful color that really brings to Valentine Card theme to a focus. And she looks like she's about to break out in song!

Todd
A - 1
T - 2
Comment: What an expression, and the movement in the brush is a good touch - and so colorful!

Yves
A -2
T -1
Comment: I love the symmetry here, and its graphic and unreal quality! The railings are like an Escher image which compliment the ultra-smooth look to the walls and ceiling.

U Frank
A - 2
T - 1
Comment: I really like the way the tree cuts in between the two, and the arc of yellow flowers ties them together. His looking at her feet behind him makes an interesting triangle.

Frank W
A -2
T - 2
Comment: The rectangular composition almost mirrors the crop of you photo perfectly! Plus the expressions on the participants keeps me looking from person to person. These folks come alive in this photo.

Patrick:
A -2
T -1
Comment: Their juxtaposition and the look on the smaller guy's face really define the theme of this composition. I also like the way the layered color swoops through the picture.

Gordon:
A - 1
T - 2
Comment: The clarity and presence of this photo will make it a lasting treasure. It is a perfect baby picture, and the 'title' fits it perfectly. Nice background too.

That was difficult. I could have gone with fractions, Olympic style and they would have been much closer.

A Request ... A request ... A request ...

A request please,

Some images show the RED X, can we have a link in the thread to the images to the site they are hosted from ?

It will make it easier to vote on them.

UPDATE, IT SEEMS FIXED NOW ......

PGB

Chris
A-2
T-1
Comment: I just love the effect that this photo has.

Steve
A-1
T-2
Comment: Cannot find a cuter subject. Very difficult to get a child to cooperate and the exposure, lighting are perfect.

Todd
A-2
T-1
Comment: Pure joy!

Yves
A-2
T-2
Comment: I keep getting drawn to this photo because of the effect of the walls and stairway. Not to mention the beauty of the child. Everything about this photo amazes me.

Uncle Frank
A-1
T-1
Comment: Unfortunately the tree is very distracting to me. I've looked at it for hours and it just doesn't do anything for me. The children and flowers make it very colorful and shows joy, but the tree is a problem.

Flew
A-1
T-2
Comment: Can't say much, its my family. Of course everyone is beautiful accept that ugly guy with the hat.

Gordon
A-2
T-2
Comment: I think that this pic captures the true essence of the topic. Not a posed capture, just an everyday pic that is superbly colorful and the skin tones of the baby are very nice. I like this one very much.

Procedural point: while you may spread your votes out over all of the images, it isn't necessary to do so, nor do you need to offer a critique on each image.

Chris, you've awarded 22 points, but 12 of them are for artistic value, and 10 are for technical merit. You need to rework your vote so that you award 11 points for each category.

Yves, if you get a red x, right click on it, select properties from the drop down menu, and copy the address (url). Paste it in your browser's address line, delete the ".jpg" extension, and hit [enter].

My Votes:

Cool topic ...

I wish we had more entries, it will come with time I guess ...

Chris101:
A: 2
T: 1

Steven S:

F15Todd:
A: 1

Uncle Frank:
T: 2

Flew:

Patrick B:

Greyflash:

Was a very fun Topic thx for hosting it UF ...

Okay here we go.

Chris

Steve

Yves

Uncle Frank
A: 3

Flew

Patrick B.

GreyFlash

my votes

I'm sorry more people didn't enter this contest, because I truly enjoy picture of kids. In fact, I can't think of a better use for a camera than capturing the precious moments of their childhoods. While I enjoyed all of the entries, there were several that I felt stood above the pack.

Imho, Gordon's picture best meets the theme of the contest, showing the innocence and joy of his model's childhood. The lighting and crispness of the capture are excellent, but it's the pose, expression, and the clever use of the Parent's Choice baby lotion that sell this composition. It'd would make a great product ad.

Technical 3, Artistic 4

Yve's shot is a masterpiece of lighting and perspective. I've long admired his model... she has the mystique and beauty of a young Anna Pacquin. Just like the child in the song, "Day is Done", she seems to know "more than men that are wise" :).

Technical 4, Artistic 3

Chris's shot has drawn me back half a dozen times. It gives a strong sense of teenage angst, and the use of "grain" enhances the image wonderfully.

Technical 2, Artistic 2

Todd's model is so focused on her art that she looks like she's in another world. I hope she's singing with joy while she's creating. That would be perfect :).

Technical 2, Artistic 2

Thoughts on the voting process

For me, being a pee brain, and not wanting to have to work to hard at voting., this process of giving points in 2 categories, having to divide them up amongst all the participants, then list them individually is far too laborious and confusing. That said, I vote for Yves pic as my fave, and Chris' as 2nd.

Each of the pictures entered are special in their own way. Chris' is perhaps the most creative, Steve's has the best lighting, Flewe (Frank) the best family interaction and Patrick's the most tender moment. I have decided to vote for my top three that were in keeping with the theme of Innocence and Joy of Childhood. My votes are as follows:

Uncle Frank:
Artistic - 4
Technical - 4

This is a well taken image that captures the subtle interplay between brother and sister. The pole or tree in the center attempts to split the two. The girls extended feet tie the two sides together.

Boobie Joe:
Artistic - 3
Technical - 4

Yves continues to present technically perfect images and in this case his perspective is unique. How well it meets the criteria of the challenge could come under question but is answered well with his daughters enigmatic expression.

F15Todd:
Artistic - 4
Technical - 3

While not technically the best image it nevertheless conveys the theme of the challenge to a high degree.

Re: Thoughts on the voting process

Steve S said:
... this process of giving points in 2 categories, having to divide them up amongst all the participants, then list them individually is far too laborious and confusing....

I agree. It's a bit much for small, informal contests. If I had it to do again, I'd give each voter 10 points to spread out, with no more than 4 points to any picture.

But we're stuck with the 22 point T&A for this contest, Steve, and I'd like your vote to count. How about ignoring separate T&A ratings? You've got 22 points. Assign them to your favorite pictures, with no more than 8 to any one picture, but make sure you use all 22 points.

UncleFrank:

I am going to take advantage of your 22 point total for my vote submission. All the images were very good, but there were three that I felt really stood out:

Boobie Joe: This picutre is just gorgeous. 8 points
F15todd: Another wonderful image. 8 points
greyflash: Great imagve 6 points.

Looking forwqrd to taking part in one of these soon.

Gil

Latest threads

Top Bottom