CAFE CHALLENGE #2

I found out yesterday that my reward for winning CAFE CHALLENGE #1 was having to run the next CHALLENGE round :?.
Silly me; I thought I was going to win a new lens. Anyway, I thought I'd let the excitement die down before foisting a new
assignment on the eager contestants, and try to think of something that might take you out of your comfort zones.

My first thought was hummingbirds, but I've overplayed that a little. Most of us take nature pictures all the time, so
that's out. People pics... that's an interesting field, but it ranges anywhere from snapshots to erotica, so I needed
to narrow it down before Backdoctor ran wild. Then I came across Todd's thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=276

What better use of a camera than to take pictures of children? So kid-pics it is. Anything from environmentals to candids
to studio portraits are acceptable for this contest. Just try to capture the innocence and joy of childhood.

I'm going to use the same rules that Yves (Boobie Joe) came up with for CHALLENGE #1, with one exception. Each artist can
only enter one picture... BUT, you can edit your entry post and change that picture as many times as you'd like up to the
filing deadline.

You can start entering now, but it must be a picture taken specifically for this contest, so don't go searching your archives.
And the cutoff for entering will be Thursday, February 17th at midnight EST.

Feel free to ask questions on this thread, but only post pictures and exif data on the CHALLENGE #2 SUBMISSION THREAD.
No selling your pictures with commentaries, either. They should speak for themselves.

Good luck to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, UF....;-)

Great topic, and certainly a challenge for those of us who don't have any kids left around the house.... :D :D

Seriously, this what NC challenges should be about, and that is to challenge each of us to expand our photographic horizons.

Let's all see what we can come up with. :wink:

Frank

Re: Gee, UF....;-)

Flew said:
Great topic, and certainly a challenge for those of us who don't have any kids left around the house.... :D :D

Hey, borrow one from a neighbor! Just tell them you'll give them an 8x10 print in return for the favor :p.

Great Challenge Topic ...

UncleFrank said:
I found out yesterday that my reward for winning CAFE CHALLENGE #1 was having to run the next CHALLENGE round :?.
Silly me; I thought I was going to win a new lens. Anyway, I thought I'd let the excitement die down before foisting a new
assignment on the eager contestants, and try to think of something that might take you out of your comfort zones.

My first thought was hummingbirds, but I've overplayed that a little. Most of us take nature pictures all the time, so
that's out. People pics... that's an interesting field, but it ranges anywhere from snapshots to erotica, so I needed
to narrow it down before Backdoctor ran wild. Then I came across Todd's thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=276

What better use of a camera than to take pictures of children? So kid-pics it is. Anything from environmentals to candids
to studio portraits are acceptable for this contest. Just try to capture the innocence and joy of childhood.

I'm going to use the same rules that Yves (Boobie Joe) came up with for CHALLENGE #1, with one exception. Each artist can
only enter one picture... BUT, you can edit your entry post and change that picture as many times as you'd like up to the
filing deadline.

You can start entering now, but it must be a picture taken specifically for this contest, so don't go searching your archives.
And the cutoff for entering will be Thursday, February 17th at midnight EST.

Feel free to ask questions on this thread, but only post pictures and exif data on the CHALLENGE #2 SUBMISSION THREAD.
No selling your pictures with commentaries, either. They should speak for themselves.

Good luck to all!

Now guys, not childhood of a bird ... :lol:

I am sure Uncle Frank meant human being ... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

gho

I've got a question! Can I shoot with an SLR/n? I've got Nikon glass on it and Nikon Flash. Yves said Nikon Cameras only. Does the SLR/n count, since the body is made by Nikon?

Frank, what a great topic. I'm sure we should see some great pictures, and I'm glad my post helped you pick the topic. Now let the fun commence.

gho said:
I've got a question! Can I shoot with an SLR/n? I've got Nikon glass on it and Nikon Flash. Yves said Nikon Cameras only. Does the SLR/n count, since the body is made by Nikon?

lol Gregory, does it say Nikon on the name plate ? :twisted:

gho said:
:(

Ah... I do 90% of my kid photography with my SLR/n

Pitty....

Hey Gregory,

I do 0% of my photography of kids. Who do you think will be more challenged?? :wink:

Regards,

Frank

gho

Nah, it not that, Frank - its just that when I go to take pics of kids, I pick the SLR/n first - I'd rather have the higher resolution for larger/sharper prints.

Hey, after all, isn't this a Nikon forum in general and not a D1/D2/D70 equipment forum?

The SLR/n uses a Nikon body, with Nikon lenses, with Nikon flash system, Nikon metering and Nikon AF.

Its okay though, I do use the D70/D2h occasionally for snapshot situations:

D70:
20050108%20142908%203971.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

gho said:

Personally, I don't object , but it's not my call, GHO. Patrick and Flew created the Cafe, and it should
be their decision. I was chartered with running Challenge #2, not setting policy for the site.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Outside of the competition picture

Since I will be on the road I cant take any pictures within the timeframe of the competition, but I would like to post this picture for the enjoyment (?) of you all. For me it is like the commercial for MasterCard says: Priceless

39742055.jpg

Ohmygod, what a mess -lol! I feel like I need to get a wet towel and wipe his face off.

Sorry you couldn't find an entry before you left on your trip, but thanks for this wonderful picture, Andreas!

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Here is another one while I'm at it

My sister in-laws son Liam at his first bout with Guacamole, no words needed..
39781472.jpg

and the innocence...
39781471.jpg

well it's so much easier when one doesnt have to take them now but can dig into the archives

andreas

papafoxtrot said:
Hi Uncle Frank,

I got some great shots of my grandkids on Sunday and would like to participate in the competition. As mentioned in my comments on the first challenge, I was hoping the contest could end at a time like midnight pacific on Saturday or something so there is a little time on the weekend to do post processing and upload.

For example, I'm out of town right now, my photos are in my desktop photo processing machine at home...and when I get back on Friday, I'll have time to get something in by Saturday midnight pacific.

Any chance to extend the deadline for an old compadre? :D

Regards,

Paul

Paul, I'd love to give you an extension, but it wouldn't be fair to several others who have the same problem. Besides, I think it's best to get this particular Cafe Challenge round over with, because it hasn't generated much interest . Hopefully the next contest manager will come up with a more popular theme.

Hey,

Latest threads

Top Bottom