CAFE CHALLENGE #6 SUBMISSION THREAD

C

Calfee

Funny Picture (Sign)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Taken with a D2H on 4-18-05

DECREPIT BARN

In small rural communities, several aged owners of small farms saw their children left for big cities modern life. When they are too old to cultivate the land, they sold their farm to cities people which convert the main building into future retirement home or summer cottage and left the others farm buildings in decrepitude as this barn shot near Saint-Zephirine. Sign of time and mentality change.

Submission

Twenty First Century Love, Durban, 2005

D70, 24-120VR,1/15s@f22,ISO200

Eye Chart

This eye chart was used at Ellis Island during the years of the largest immigration to the US. This migration took place between 1897 and 1938, when over 12 million immigrants came to our country. To help immigrants with the eye tests, doctors created charts in the most common languages. I took the image becasue of the Hebrew letters. If it looks a bit blurry, it is not your eyes. DOF was not the best.

Gil

R

Removed User 2

shot on the 21st of april.
Old fashioned Jews living the modern life...

Gone But Not Forgotten

I was having difficulty deciding whether to submit a photo depicting a sign of TIME or one depicting "sign of "THE TIMES"". I decided to try both.

It struck me that someone still cared enough about this 134 year old grave site of this 5 year old to attempt to fix the failing and TIME AGED monument by using 21st century tools. i.e., the zip ties thus signifying the "sign of THE times".

Thanks for viewing this modest and first attempt at one of the forums challenges.

Gone But Not Forgotten

New Neighbors...

Urban sprawl is inevitable. This once peaceful little church in Montreal has been there since 1843. It is now surrounded by office towers and engulfed in the day-long hustle and bustle of traffic and sirens.
I positioned for added perspective effect: it seems the little old church is curious of its new neighbor and somehow musters a "welcome to the neighborhood". Just as well, it has no choice - it is a Sign of the Times.

Title: "New Neighbors":

exif:
Nikon D1x
Date/time original: April 26, 2005, 3:34 PM
Lens: Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8
Exposure time: 1/60 s
F-number: f/8
Exposure Comp.: +0.7 EV

Old Out Of New

Main engine compartment for the Union Pacific "Big Boy" locomotive (1942 - 1962). This was one of the biggest railroad engines ever built and could achieve a top speed of 80mph.

I look at this and think of today's circut boards.

_/oe

My entry

J

jkamphof

Statue

Well with war & conflicts always on the mind since the dawn of mankind I figure a remembrance to the foolish things we start and never seem to finish.

This is a statue from the South Korean War Memorial in Seoul. A Southern soldier hugs his brother who fought for the North. Nothing political intended just something we often forget.

First time - hope I'm doing this right. The deadline extension gave me a chance to enter this whimsical category.

The buildings in the back indicate a rebirth and as for the foreground ... 'nuff said.

John

Real Name
Chris
Job Applicant

Ground Zero May 2005

Taken at Ground Zero on the Spring Afternoon of May 5th, 2005

Title : Libertas Maius MMV

Scales of time

Signs of time : they come in many forms - from seconds ticking to a coffee break or in the way of days, months and years creating scales of their own...

Nikon D70
2005/04/30 14:29:33.8
Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 28-70mm F/2.8 D
Focal Length: 36mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/6 sec - F/2.8
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Custom
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: Manual
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Enhanced
Sharpening: Normal
Long Exposure NR: Off

The more things change...

....the more they stay the same.

About 45 minutes from where we live is an Amish Community. We enjoy going up just for the drive because it is such beautiful scenery from here to there. They sell their wares...sorghum, blackberry preserves, straw hats, bonnets and fresh butter as well as other things...to supplement their living, but for the most part they live off of what their farms can provide or trade from other Amish farmers.

It really amazing how they cling so strongly to their beliefs and reject modern society. That was why I chose this picture for this contest. You see their horse drawn buggy and their home w/o electricity or running water or signs of modern life. The only thing to give the picture a sign of the Time is our Chevy Avalanche showing in the bottom left corner.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Real Name
Philip Armitage
broken dreams

One way a young couple can get into a house is to buy a block of land and have a house - say one that is being removed for a redevelopment site - transported onto their site. This was a large house and had to be transported in 2 sections, ready to be joined up on site. This one has been on this block for several years now.

Looks like their dream was somehow shattered and I do wonder what the story was - was it just a lack of funds, was it a marriage split? Time continues to eat away at this house. They never bothered to link up the 2 halves and complete it. When I parked my car so I could take the pic, the white horse insisted in being in the picture, and who was I too argue.

Good luck everyone, there are some great images already

Nikon D100, Sigma 12-24

"A 4 Year Old's Pen"

"A 4 Year Old's Pen"

Good luck everyone :D

R

Reznor

Work in progress

In 1883 Antoni Gaudi started the construction of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Together with other artists he supervised the work until his death in 1926. Up until now the Sagrada Familia has not been finished and perhaps never will. The reason being quite simple: The sagrada familia had to be built entirely from donations as part of the original concept.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom