1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cafe Challenge #64 - WHEELS - Results

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by bcoons, Jun 13, 2009.

1. bcoons

bcoons

Dec 6, 2007
    Central Texas

The voting period for challenge #64 - WHEELS - has ended. The votes have been tabulated, and (envelope, please), the winners:​

Skating way out in front of the pack in 1st Place with 44 points is:

Rollin' by BostonRott

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Turning slowly (but powerfully) into 2nd Place with 22 points is:

Mabry Mill by leaders

3575893255_b4cfc161c3_b.jpg

We had so many great entries, we had a tie for 3rd Place.

Cruising smoothly into a 3rd Place in cool, old school style with 14 points is:

Schwinn Bicycle by Sangetsu

May25th2009025.jpg

And also making a splash into 3rd Place with 14 points is:

Hydroplane by Wowzer

[​IMG]

Since two more entries followed only one point behind the 3rd place winners, we'll give them honorable mention:

I Think I'm Getting Dizzy by bmallen11

and,

Ferris Wheel by Hamel

Thanks to all those that submitted a really fun bunch of images, and also to all those that voted.

Special thanks to Michael (mcs) for helping to guide me through the mechanics of setting up my first
    challenge. It was fun! :smile:

Congratulations, Gretchen, great technique and a wonderful interpretation of the theme. So what ya' got comin' up? I'm ready for the next challenge!

2. What an incredible turn out! I think this was one of the more successful challenges we've had, THANK YOU Bcoons!!! :smile:

Congratulations to Leader, Sangetsu and Wowzer!! Sangetsu, I'd LOVE to hear more about your conversion, the blacks are so clean and the whites so crisp......absolutely lovely! :smile:

#65 is up and open. I shortened it up a bit b/c of the upcoming US holiday weekend (July 4th). It is my hope that we can finish voting on this, and the next Challenge will begin in time for the holiday weekend.....I'm sure there's gotta be some good topic material around on a long weekend! :biggrin:

3. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    I loved this challenge! It was a great subject, and I loved the variety of the entries.

As for my conversion, there wasn't much to it. I simply set my D300 to "Monochrome" and took the shot. The fact that my bicycle is black and white was certainly a help, but the biggest contributing factor was the light. I took the picture at Asakusa in Tokyo, right next to the Sensoji temple. At the moment the temple is being remodeled, and it is covered by huge sheets of white plastic. The sun reflected off the white plastic gave a wonderful glow, so I stopped and clicked off a few shots.

I like the theme of the new challenge, and I'm hoping I can take something worth contributing.

4. Congratulations Gretchen and the others - a great challenge.....

5. Congratulations to the winners of this very interesting contest.

6. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Way to go Gretch! Awesome Shot!

7. Congratulations to all the winners, and all other entries. Great work everyone.

Gretchen, can you explain how you took that shot?

8. leaders

leaders

Aug 25, 2008
    Alabama
    Congratulations to Gretchen and the other winners and entries.

9. Wowzer

Wowzer

Sep 17, 2006
    NYC
    Congrats, BostonRott, I thought your shot was best from the moment I saw it. Did you use a lens with VR? I couldn't imagine having such a clear shot handheld.

10. Wowzer

Wowzer

Sep 17, 2006
    NYC
    Congrats, BostonRott, I thought your shot was best from the moment I saw it. Did you use a lens with VR? I couldn't imagine having such a clear shot handheld.

11. Congratulations, everyone! Gretchen, I am amazed by that "Rollin'" shot and I commend you for your courage in undertaking this shot! Whew!

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Congrats, Gretchen! Fantastic shot...

13. I'm so glad you all enjoyed it! :smile: My original plan was to enlist hubby as the 'blader, and I would parallel him, crouched down and shooting to get roughly this view point. However, he seemed rather unenthused, so I abandoned the idea.....until it finally occured to me to try it by myself.

I first thought I would need a hill to get speed/blur, but quickly realized that with any real speed, a topple would result in serious camera damage. So I found a road that was 'not quite' level, and basically allowed me to keep momentum. The other requirement was no curb, I wanted a green blur on the far side of the blades. Finding green right up close to the road is not easy...........and as it turns out, this lovely backdrop is a vibrant patch of poison ivy! :eek:  :biggrin:

As to the set up: I started out testing lenses while still in my sneakers. I thought 35 would be wide enough, but I just didn't get the perspective that I wanted. Next thought was the 14-24, but that is a big/heavy lens, and my forearm strength is pathetic. So, I used the 28/2 AiS (a manual focus lens) and set the focus via the distance scale (thus forcing the f/16 aperture).

I used the tripod as a stiff boom arm, to get the camera out and slightly behind me. D3 attached to ballhead, and ballhead almost down in that 90 degree 'notch.' Legs of the tripod extended maybe 3", but I knew that I couldn't have it out too far, or I'd greatly increase the load on the end, and the chance of bad blur.

Held the tripod by its feet, with the camera out at the end, upside down, with the hot shoe barely above the pavement. I had to flip 180 vertically in post (to get it right-side up), and then 180 horizontally to make the K2 read properly. I used a cable release (MC-36) to actually take the shot.

It was a lot of fun to work on, I probably shot 40 frames til I had what I wanted. Each shot was completely blind as to focus and framing. I cropped about 1/4" off the top b/c of a patch of bright light that was distracting, but otherwise, this is "as shot." :smile:

14. bcoons

bcoons

Dec 6, 2007
    Central Texas
    Well, just WOW!

Amazing. You have a lot more nerve than I would. I can just imagine dropping the camera on the road.

Great shot, and all the better now that I know how much work it was to set up. Now, when I think of something to do for a challenge, I'm gonna think, "What would Gretchen do?" :smile: (I hope I don't hurt myself! :redface:) 

15. Wowzer

Wowzer

Sep 17, 2006
    NYC
    Great shot, Gretchen...even better with a non VR lens...

16. TonyM1

TonyM1

Jan 26, 2009
    Woodstock GA
    Worthy winner i think ...

17. asnpcwiz

asnpcwiz

May 27, 2009
    USA
    Great job to the winner. I'd like to learn how you took the shot though. Would you mind explaining how you did it? How did you get the shot angle, the shutterspeed it was shot at, etc...

18. It's all explained above. EXIF: 1/8 sec f/16 ISO200 28mm (manual focus lens).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.