CAFE CHALLENGE #7 - SUBMISSION THREAD

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by Frits, May 29, 2005.

1. Post your submissions here.

Let your imagination lead to some great pictures!
    I look forward to see them all.

2. I'll start it off. Thanks Fritz, excellent topic.

There are over 17 gates, some with 2 and 3 jumps. It's a long, hard ride but without doubt it is the rider who is the more exhausted as they cross the finish line. It takes not only physical strength but a strong mental strength in order to control and direct such a massive animal.

The final piece of the puzzle to success is the strength in confidence both horse and rider have in each other:
    [​IMG]

_/oe

3. My attempt - Nothing inspires confidence like the strength of dad. Hold on for dear life son!

CopyofBeijingPanning2-BW.

EXIF:

NIKON D70
    Focal Length: 18mm
    F/Number: 6.3
    Shutter Speed: 1/13 Second
    Meter Mode: Center Weighted
    Exposure program: Shutter Priority
    Exposure Compensation: +0.3 step
    Date Picture Taken: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 5:56 PM

4. Blowing a little too strong ...

original.

5. Here is mine

Taken at the Wachovia USPRO Cycling Championship held here in Philadelphia June 5, 205. This young lady was participating in the 56 mile race for women when into the first lap she was involved in a multi bike crash which resulted in some serious cuts and bruises to her legs and rib areas. She was able to continue on on catch the lead group and finish the race with the lead bunch of riders. Part of this course is a 17 degree incline called the Manayunk Wall which the women had to climb twice. My hats off to her STRENGTH to continue on and finish the race
    original.
    Date/Time 05-Jun-2005 09:58:28
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 105 mm
    Exposure Time 1/2500 sec
    Aperture f/3.2
    ISO Equivalent 200
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

6. Don't know how strong this padlock on an old shed actually is, but strength is naturally its purpose.

[​IMG]

Camera model: NIKON D2X
    Original date/time: 2005:06:06 13:33:49
    Exposure time: 1/160
    F-stop: 5.0
    ISO speed: 100
    Focal length: 85.0000
    Exposure mode: Manual
    White balance: Auto
    Metering mode: Spot
    Contrast: Soft
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal

Best wishes,

David

7. Pillars of Economy

The world has evolved tremendously and continues to do so. Sometimes for the better, sometimes otherwise.
    The economy has many variables at work, but one can argue that the combined STRENGTH of the Dollar and the Euro has dramatic and sometimes immediate influence on us all. Their combined power also sees that there is a certain stability and balance in this often mad, mad world. A mighty symbol of STRENGTH indeed.

Frits

[​IMG]

EXIF:
    D1x
    Nikkor AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8 @ 135mm
    06/06/2005 4:58:23 PM
    1/400 s
    f/5

8. Hidden strength

This will probably be regarded as the lamest entry but I have reasons for posting this. Saturday I drove 100 miles and stopped to see my father in law, a recent widower. He seemed a bit depressed so I took him for a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were stopped at an overlook and I was taking some late evening shots of the mountains and I turned and saw him leaning on this 100 year old stone wall looking out over the mountain ranges at the sunset. I saw strength like I had not seen before.

[​IMG]

D2X 1/40 sec- F/11, Raw 12 bit,
    Focal length 55mm
    Exposure mode: manual
    Exposure comp: 0
    ISO 100
    white balance: auto
    Flash sync mode: not attached
    2005/06/04 18:33:23.2

9. Bones of a bridge

Bridges are strong works we count on, sometimes daily, as we transit from home to work and back. I see them as ties, from one bank to the other. I tried here to show the under structure, the "bones" of the bridge, where the strenght is assured. The use of a polar yellow/blue skewed the colours enough to create a dreamlike effect.
    [​IMG]

Nikon D70
    2005/06/05 18:50:00.9
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
    Focal Length: 29mm
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/10 sec - F/14
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Normal
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Faith's strength shines through

In 1936 the cornerstone of my church was set. The membership has dwindled over the past few decades but we all, old and young, enjoy the peace that it brings to us through God. One striking feature of this church is the stained glass windows. For almost 70 years these windows have survived the fiercest storms, street ball games, and age... without damage.

The calming affect that overcomes you once inside is very strong. You feel the higher presence. Thus my submission of strength.

Faith's strength shines through

[​IMG]

11. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I like the strength shown by these 2 young ladies as the go for the soccer ball.

[​IMG]

D70 Sigma 70-200 HSM EX with a Sigma 1.4 EX TC
    The rest of the exif is below.

File Name: MHS53105_157.JPG
    File Size: 2,421,117 Bytes
    File Type: JPEG
    Exif Byte Order: Big Endian (Motorola)
    Manufacturer: NIKON CORPORATION
    Model number: NIKON D70
    Image orientation: Top, left
    Resolution (width): 300 pixels per inch
    Resolution (height): 300 pixels per inch
    Software used: Ver.2.00
    File date and time: 2005:05:31 18:26:37
    Y and C positioning: Co-sited
    Exposure time: 0.0020 seconds
    f number: 14.0
    Exposure program: Shutter priority
    Exif version: 0221
    Date time of image: 2005:05:31 18:26:37
    Date time digitized: 2005:05:31 18:26:37
    Component config: YCbCr
    Compression: 4.0 bits per pixel
    Exposure bias: 0.0 stops
    Maximum lens aperture: f/4.0
    Metering mode: Pattern
    Light source: unknown
    Flash: Flash did not fire
    Lens focal length: 155.0 mm
    Date time subseconds:
    Original subseconds:
    Digitized subseconds:
    FlashPix version: 0100
    Color space: Uncalibrated
    Image width: 3008
    Image height: 2000
    Sensing method: One-chip color area sensor
    Scene type: Directly photographed image
    Custom rendered: Custom process
    Exposure mode: Auto exposure
    White balance: Auto white balance
    Digital zoom ratio: 1.0
    35mm film focal length: 232 mm
    Scene capture type: Standard
    Gain control: None
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: High saturation
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject distance range: unknown

12. Rapman1959

Rapman1959

May 7, 2005
    Dubois PA
    The strength of youth

This was taken on a sweltering humid day. Just watching them play made me sweat.

[​IMG]

© 2005-Adolfo Rapaport [#Beginning of Shooting Data Section] Nikon D2X Focal Length: 150mm Optimize Image: Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB) Long Exposure NR: Off High ISO NR: Off 2005/06/05 04:36:09.3 Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority White Balance: Auto -2 Tone Comp.: Less Contrast RAW (12-bit) Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern AF Mode: AF-C Hue Adjustment: 0° Image Size: Large (4288 x 2848) 1/500 sec - F/7.1 Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached Saturation: Normal Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV Sharpening: Medium low Lens: VR 70-200mm F/2.8 G Sensitivity: ISO 100 Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV Image Comment: [#End of Shooting Data Section]

13. Castillo de San Marcos

What exudes the meaning of strength better than a fortress made of stone? This picture was taken Friday evening after the Nikon Cafe group dispersed from the Rookery and made their way back home. It had just started to rain so I held off a bit and went to the old town and photographed the fort. The following description of the fort best describes its strength. The ominous clouds depict another reminder of yet one more force the walls have withstood. From: http://www.oldcity.com/

"Throughout its history, the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, with its elaborate double drawbridge entrance suspended above what is now a now dry moat spanning an impressive 40 feet, has been closely intertwined with the city and the neighboring structures which served as the city's outer defenses for many years - Fort Mose to the north and Fort Matanzas to the south. The Castillo and the town serve as outstanding reminders of the might of the early Spanish empire in the New World. Given the architectural details, it's hardly surprising that Castillo de San Marcos actually took 23 years to build (construction began in 1672 and was completed in 1695). Fabricated of coquina, a virtually indestructible limestone comprised of broken sea shells and corals, the walls of the fortress remained impenetrable through 300 years of enemy shelling and pounding by violent storms."

[​IMG]

exif:
    Camera: Nikon D2x
    Lens: 35-70 f2.8 @ 58mm
    Aperture: f2.8
    Shutter: 1/320
    Aperture Priority
    ISO: 250
    Date/time 06:06:05 22:01:09

14. The king for 15 years...

[​IMG]

Well, 15 years collect a lot of days of fighting for a cat to protect "his" country. To grow older and older is a difficult thing for humans but even for cats. Believe it!

15. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Iwo Jima Memorial

Iwo Jima Memorial taken at the Intrepid Museum in NYC.
    "In 1945, on top of the island of Iwo Jima, associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal captured the image of five American Marines and one sailor raising a U.S. Flag during the height of the battle. This photograph symbolized America's victory in the Pacific and is one of the most recognizable images of WWII.

Even as the battle raged, Navy artist Felix DeWeldon began creating a 12 foot-high sculpture based on Rosenthal's photograph. The statue traveled around the country to help sell war bonds. The sculpture became so popular that it prompted the construction of a larger, permanent statue at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

When the war ended, DeWeldon's original sculpture was left to decay. Rediscovered by New York collector, Rodney Hilton Brown, the statue was brought to the Museum and restored to its original splendor where it was unveiled on the 50th anniversary of the battle."
    original.
    (FYI: exif data was a screen capture and paste from nikon view, and not a photoshop script )

Regards

RFC

16. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Cooper Hewitt Design Museum

The Cooper Hewitt Museum is on 91st and 5th Avenue, and has a really cool exhitibt called "Extreme textiles", with things like kevlar racing gloves, and space suits, carbon fiber bicycles and crew boats, high performance fabrics that you can put a blow torch to for two hours and they will not burn, pretty cool exhibit. They also have these tuned climbing ropes that begin to humm as you get close to or exceed their weight/stress limits. Lots of military, NASA, and high performance sports stuff mostly.

They have lots of stuff that you can touch and play with, so it is more interactive, which I really liked.

I shot this picture of this Farenheight 451 suit here, I am sorry that I don't have more details. In an exhibit of things that could withstand nuclear blasts, near absolute zero of space, undersea pressure, and friction of sliding on pavement at 200 mph, this was the most impressive looking piece of gear.

Unfortunately the guard then told me not to take any more pictures, and it was crowded, so I do not have more specific details on this suit. If I had to guess it is either for fighting extreme chemical fires, or for walking down your driveway in Scottsdale to pick up your paper this time of year, either way this is one STRONG suit.

d2h, 50 mm 1.8 AF-D lens, ARGB, 1/40s f/1.8, ISO 200, no EV compensation, taken today during the "Museum Mile" event.

[​IMG]

17. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Well I couldn't think of anything unique as I've been kinda busy these last 2 weeks but a headache yesterday, while teaching, inspired my pain-wracked mind :idea:

Some days my students get the best of me and I require the extra strength of medicine before I go ballistic on them :twisted: (of course I don't mean this.....I love them all dearly :roll: ). That's when I need the headache pills that hopefully have the strength to remove the nasty pounding in my head so I can continue teaching the ABC's to them :?

EXIF: 06-Jun-2005 20:13:39. Nikon D70/60mm Macro/Apreture Priority/f/8/1/60sec/SB800 used.

18. Title: Total Wreck

I think this defines strenght very well, in many many ways.

[​IMG]

1/500"
    F Number F4
    Exposure Program Aperture priority 8822 S
    ISO Speed Ratings 400 8827 S
    Date Time Original 2005-06-05 17:41:57 9003 A
    Date Time Digitized 2005-06-05 17:41:57 9004 A
    Focal Length 300mm

19. AndyWoodward

AndyWoodward Guest

Oranges

Title: Oranges

This is somewhat "tongue-in-cheek", but I hope you all like it :)

[​IMG]

EXIF:

Camera Model NIKON D2H
    Focal Length 70.0 mm
    Exposure Time 1/200 sec
    Aperture F4.5
    Metering Mode Multi-segment
    ISO 200
    Exposure Program Manual control
    Exposure Bias 0
    Lens 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5
    White Balance AUTO
    AF Type AF-C

To be honest, it was my first trip out using purely manual control and I was really happy with the results. (Thanks to Ron Reznik's techniques!)

Andy

20. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Stopping the Train

My husband and I have been trading ideas for this Challenge. This was one of his. We packed ourselves off to a local siding one evening at Magic Hour and set this up. Hope you like it -- I was pleased with the results!

Nikon D100 with Tamron 24-135mm F/3.5-5.6 D @ 68mm
    Aperture Priority, 1/15 sec @ f/8, Matrix metering, ISO 200
    RAW, Adobe RGB, Hue: 0°, WB: Cloudy -1, AF-S
    Photograph taken June 06, 2005