CAFE CHALLENGE #9 - Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by JustinD, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Sorry for the delay of the Challenge! Due to various reasons this voting thread is a couple of days late...nonetheless it is here.

Great Challenge! Many fine pictures were submitted and, although regrettable, it's time to pare them down to but three.

THE RULES FOR VOTING:

Everyone is allowed three votes:

1st place: 3 points
    2nd place: 2 points
    3rd place: 1 point

So now look, read and observe carefully, and take your time before you make up your mind!

Make sure to mention the name (member name and real name if different and provide by the poster) of the artist and the title of the artwork!

Voting begins now and will end on Saturday - July 30, 2005 - at 12:00 noon utc/gmt standard time.

To avoid time disputes here is the link to our time standard for this:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

Happy Voting!

2. ..

My vote:

1. Kevin Scott - Working on a tan - 3 points
    2. mcs - Summer Feeling! - 2 points
    3. PhotoDawg - The Dive - 1 point

3. #1: Greg for Distracted - a fantastic composition!
    #2: David Fink for Feline Biker - how could you miss with that super-cool model?
    #3: Ken L. for Summer in the City - it captures the season perfectly.

Biggest Chuckle: Chris101 for Summertime Court Sports. Man, you crack me up :).

4. 3 points to Mike Mac (Cool reflections)
    2 points to David Fink (Cat on a Bike)
    1 point to JMartin (Summer Showers)

Honerable mentions go to Don (drueter) and Chris101 for having the nads to put themselves in the shot. I admire you guys!

Congrats to all who entered.

_/oe

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    A good turn out for this challenge with I believe 28 submitals.

3 points to Kevin Scott (the Iced Beauty/working on a tan)
    2 points to ken-L (Summer in the City)
    1 point to J Martin (Summer Showers)

6. While these have more going for them than sharpness, I am very impressed at how sharp each of them is.
    1. Bryan, The Dive. Love the color treatment and tight cropping.
    2. Keven, Ice Cubes (my title). Might have liked this even if it wasn't sharp! :wink: Very summer.
    3. JMartin, Summer Showers. Nice composition and love the stop-action on the garden hose. Reminds me of my youth.

7. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Voting is getting harder and harder with so many fantastic entries !

Oh well, once again my 2 cent opinion.....

3 points - Summer in the City by Ken-L

2 points - Distracted by Greg

1 point - Cat on a Bike by David Fink

Regards

RFC

8. Votes for Challenge #9

Boy, there are a lot of really great submissions here, including Pa's which didn't quality. Here are my choices:

First Place (3 points): Gale "in the PINK & RED". I like the context of this image, people waiting for something to happen on a hot Summer day. Crowds and heat are so typical, this image got my vote for first place.

Second Place (2 points): There were a lot of cute kid shots submitted, but Bryan (PhotoDawg's) image of his son, Parker, gets my vote for "The Dive". I think I am slightly biased by all the wonderful shots Bryan has shown us of his son, who just seems to be a fun kid being himself. I really like the wonderful tonality of this image too.

Third Place ( 1 point): Ken Luria get my third place vote for "Summer in the City." Many of the other photos I considered, all great photos, didn't necessarily need to take place in the Summer, but I think this one shows how no matter where you are there are ways to have fun in the Summer.

Congratulations everyone for all your wonderful photos.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It was very difficult to choose from these great entries. I admire everyone's vision on how they interpreted the topic for this contest. There are truly no losers in this contest...

That being said...

My first place choice - Distracted by Greg

Second place choice - Summer in the City by Ken-L

And last but certainly not least - Cat on the Bike by David Fink

and Honorable Mention to Chris 101 for his un-ending humor and wit...Chris, do you wear a hat when you go out in the heat of the day??? Only kidding...truly enjoy your slant on things...especially in this crazy world we live in!!! The world needs more people who can laugh/make you laugh!!! 8)

10. Here's my vote for Challenge #9

Here in Germany, we had mostly rain this last two weeks, so it was nice to get the summer mood from this challenge!

1st place: 3 points go to "Kid Fish" by Joe_Lorenzini
    A really unique capture!

2nd place: 2 points go to "Distracted" by Greg
    Great idea, great realization! (Who got the ice cream after the shot? :wink: )

3rd place: 1 point goes to "Summer Showers" by JMartin
    WOW, frozen water on a hot day!

Honorable mentions to:
    all the others, for making this decision so hard!

11. Just too lazy to participate... shame on me ! Oh, well, I guess it's summertime and... "laisser le bon temps rouler" like they say in Lafayette.

Here are my choices :

3 points - The Dive, by PhotoDawg
    2 points - Summer Feeling, by MCS
    1 point - Summer in the City, by Ken-L

Some amazing ideas too - Chris, gbenic, and so many others. Congrats all of you. Too bad Pa... I really liked your contribution.

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    This was a great contest....I had so much going on personally that I just never got around to shooting something to submit....maybe next go-round I'll have time...

Here are my votes---

First Place--3 points--Greg--"Distracted"--Wonderful composition...obvious patience to wait for the icecream to melt just enough and then get the kid in just the right spot in the background. Guess the key was to not get distracted and eat the ice cream while you were waiting! ;-)

Second Place--Mike Mac--"Cool Reflections"--I just loved this from the first time I saw it. The cool blue pool just screams summer. And the look on the guy's face...he's a pretty "cool" guy too it looks like!

Third Place--VirtuaMike--"Tutu"--Childhood innocence...love it! The heat of the day didn't get to that little girl...she just sat in the water and appeared oblivious to anything other than playing in the water. Love the capture here....the water is so clear, still fluid....perfect!

Honorable mentions--JMartin...Chris101...Pa...PhotoDawg....All well done!

13. #1: Greg for "Distracted" - excellent composition..!
    #2: Kevin for "Working On A Tan" ....... well done!
    #3: Ken L. for "Summer in the City"......It is "says" Summer!

I thought all the images were great and is was fun to see them.

14. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    3pts Greg Distracted

2pts Kevin Ice Cubes

1pt Photodawg The Dive

Excellent submissions everyone.

Thanks,

15. Voting (revised due to ineligible entry)

1st Place (3 points): Kevin Scott, Working on the tan

2nd Place (2 points): Ken-L, Summer in the City

3rd Place (1 point): MCS, Summer Feeling

Honorable Mention: Mike Mac, Reflection

Very nice entries all, congratulations on some fine submissions.

16. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Gordon,

We need to defer to the judges, but I believe Pa's submission was dubbed non-conforming because it was not taken during the time of the challenge.

Don't want you losing vote points if this was indeed the decision.

Joe

17. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    1st place Kevin Scott - working on the tan - 3 points
    2nd place David Fink - cat on a bike - 2 points
    3rd place mcs - summer feeling - 1 point

lots of other pictures i liked made it tough to decide.

18. Gordon - Joe is correct regarding Pa's submission. Unfortunately it wasn't taken during the time frame allowed so it's been disqualified. It looks like you have the option of choosing another second place submission.

19. JMartin

JMartin Guest

My votes are...

Very many good choices again this month... the competition is definately rough with all of our great photographers here.

1st place (3 pts) - Joe Lorenzini - Kid Fish

2nd place (2 pts) - Mike Mac - Guy by the Pool

3rd place (1 pt) - Kevin Scott - Working on the tan

These were very hard to choose from and I had to leave several photos off that say "summer time" to me. Great job all!

Joe

20. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    3 points N foto Seven Seas
    2 points Gale In the Pink and Red
    1 point Joe Lorenzini Kid Fish