Cafe Etiquette

Is it considered appropriate to post pictures in someone else's thread without asking permission?

I always considered it inappropriate to post one's own pictures in a picture thread started by someone else without first asking permission. There is a sort of one-upmanship implicit in doing that, and I always ask permission or just post a link to my photo rather than displaying it in the thread.

I see this being done more often now.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
It is still considered good etiquette and common courtesy to ask permission from the OP before interjecting photos into someone else's thread. If someone wants to reference other images as part of their response to an OP, then a link to those images can be used instead of posting the images directly into someone else's thread.

While hijacking has always occurred (and I'm pretty sure I've been guilty of it a couple of times), it has become much more noticeable and bordering on grandstanding in recent months. We need to play nice!
[/QUOTE
I agree too. I also don't like it if I post an information and someone takes it in a new direction.
I’ve probably been guilty of that in the past. I’ll try to be more aware.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Administrator
Real Name
Amin
I agree with what everyone else is saying here. People should not post images in another person's thread unless that person invites group participation.

On a separate but related topic, I think the fact that we don't have very many group participation threads inhibits overall posting on this site. I know that we have the "social" threads, but IMO those are not enough.

For example, a lot of people who might feel comfortable adding a couple bird pics to a shared group thread in our Birds subforum might not feel as comfortable making their own thread in that forum.

EDIT: I'll start a new thread to discuss that instead of going off topic in this one.

Last edited:
I sometimes invite others to show similar images to expand on the conversation. But as rule NO, unless invited.

What I would like to see is a sub-forum where we can post an unedited photo and have others go at it with their own post ideas and then maybe having a vote on best results.

Last edited:
I sometimes invite others to show similar images to expand on the conversation. But as rule NO, unless invited.

What I would like to see is a sub-forum where we can post an unedited photo and have others go at it with their own post ideas and then maybe having a vote on best results.
Critique Corner ?

I wouldn't post a picture unless it's somehow related to the topic of the thread. For example if it relates to a question or problem the OP is having.

Though I've also piggybacked older threads on topics that are not very common, such as travel to a unique destination. In situations like that, the OP most likely has returned from their trip and can add valuable feedback. It also leaves a nice info trail for others interested in visiting the same destination.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom