Cafe Etiquette

I have to admit that in the early days on this forum I was guilty in my exuberance of posting an images on someone else's thread. And likewise have had others post their images on some of my threads. I agree with all of the above - it's not good etiquette . I have stopped some time ago, I hope others do as well.

I agree that it is rude to post (hijack) an image in someone's thread unless invited to do so.

I think it is equally rude to post a link to your images in someone else's thread.

Both seem like an attempt at one upmanship and I feel offended or disrespected when it happens to me.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I agree with what appears to be the general consensus – no reply with pics to another person's pic thread without asking or unless the OP (original poster) explicitly invites group participation.

I could imagine there are edge cases where someone has requested assistance and it is easier to illustrate in picture form than describe in text.

Real Name
David
I tend to agree with most here with two exceptions that others have also raised. As @frdjohns notes, links can have the same effect as adding pictures (hijacking the thread). I actually think links can be worse since by clicking on the link some may be taken away from the thread depending on browser settings.

And if the OP is asking a question about there image, how to better capture a sense (lighting, filters, etc) or use a feature of their camera as @Jonathan F/2 noted. It's often easier to explain something with included sample images (including circles and arrows with a paragraph on the back.....).

Re reading this thread following the discussion on the Squirrel post, I find that this is a low tolerance threshold.
Once a discussion has been opened to debate, adding a picture to it seems far from being rude or insulting.

Last edited:
I think it depends. If a person is asking for advise - id, a technique - then adding a picture is appropriate. But if someone is posting an image for others to appreciate - say an image of a cute fox - I think people should just comment on the image and not post "competing" ones.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom