Cafe Server Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hi All,

A couple of hours ago, our server vendor cut us off, saying that we were presenting too much of a load on the server that we are leasing. This came without warning. Patrick has worked with them, and has pruned just about all non-forum message database entries for the forum in an effort to get the Cafe back on-line.

In spite of this, they kicked us off again, so we have modified the forum permissions, temporarily, to only allow registered members to view our forums. We have upgraded our service again (for I think the 4th time since January), so that we will have our own server, but not until the server vendor can get the server in and set it up.

We apologize for this inconvenience. Patrick and I, like many of you, depend on the Cafe every day. It is the first thing I look at in the morning, and the last thing I do before retiring each evening. We have just grown a lot faster than we ever anticipated.

Thanks for your patience.

2. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me but alas it is the whole shebang. Sorry for the problems and hope we get it fixed fast. Right now it is like pouring cold molasis through a funnel.

3. I guess that would explain why I was recieving these 'forbidden' error messages when I tried to access the forums. Seems like a lot of the forums I post on are having server troubles lately.

4. Frank-

Some of the other forums I frequent offer a donation link for 'Platinum' status.

I would be happy to donate to the cause if a link were setup...

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks a lot Brett. If this keeps up at the same pace, we may just do that.

We think that Patrick may have found the problem (isn't he a sharp guy 8)). Seems that we had 20+ connections from a Google web-bot that was indexing the entire site, and that was what was causing the overload. Patrick has banned the connecting IP and things got better immediately. Let's hope that was it.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

Looking over the log files I found that there were several pages worth of logs just to that google bot. Hopefully banning them and loading a robots.txt file on the root of the site will prevent any further indexing by google or anyone else.

This means that you will not be able to use search engines to find threads, posts, or stuff on the cafe. Big Loss, I know. :)

I'm hoping that this will help in the interim. If in fact this doesn't alleviate most of our problems and we do upgrade to a completely dedicated host server we will more than likely have to put out a call for assistance in facilitating that.

I want to thank everyone for their patience in this matter and we are working feverishly to get everything back running as smoothly and fast as we possibly can.

Thanks,

7. Not to worry, no legs fell off, the world didn't stop spinning and the sun is still gonna rise tomorrow. Glad you discovered the bottleneck and got it remedied. I'll be happy to kick in with any help you might need.
    We've got a great place going here, and I want to thank Patrick and Frank for all their tireless efforts.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Patrick, does the site have a robots.txt file in place? I used to get swamped with the googlebot (indexing all 14,000 of my isotope files) Then I added 'robots.txt' and the activity stopped.

By the way, I couldn't believe how much I got done this evening while the site was in the 'Forbidden' zone. I've got a 35 photo gallery hanging for the month of September and got a good bunch of them framed up.

So thanks for the time off, I guess. I missed the cafe though. :(....S (that smiley's crying a river)

10. jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

May 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Oef... Since yesterday just a few forums visible. What was happening? Hey I wanna read! Today still just a few forums... Mmmm, perhaps looking in the general discussion forum. YES! I found it. Now I can enjoy again this wonderful forum! I hate bots :twisted:

Congratz for all the work you did, guys! I don't post much because of the standard here but I'm enjoying this forum and the people I know so much! Really appreciate this.

P.S.: Patrick, congratz with your Bicentennial :D

11. Thanks as always guys you are top notched let me know where I can send my contribution if not for hardware at least for some alcoholic beverages for the folks running the show. Really anything I can do to help let me know, I value this place and want to insure that it is running at peak efficiency

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    That's it, I demand a refund at once!

Oh, that's right, I haven't paid anything for the privelege of surfing here, have I! :oops: :wink: Anyway, thanks to all of you for keeping us going. You have us all hooked now, so you can't let us go into withdrawls! :lol:

13. I'll just add a me too!

I tried Nikonians for awhile, but decided it is not worth the annual fee. Too many members! It takes so long to wade through a thread that I soon give up - especially since most of the entries are worthless.

However, I would be glad to contribute to keep this one going. Just say the word.

14. avalanche161

avalanche161

May 17, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thanks Patrick and Frank for all of your hard work and dedication to this great site! Send out a call for assistance when and if it is needed and I am sure that the response will be overwhelming...

15. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Not much can be added to the messages above other than to say THANKS!!!! from me too. Great job, Patrick and Flew!

16. A big thank you to Patrick and Flew.

Server work can be time consuming and a real head scratcher.

17. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Patrick & Frew (and Chris the Nuker),

Thanks guys for this great place to come to each day. Your passion for photography and the Cafe is appreciated and felt by all of us.

Please let us know what we can do to help.

Jack

18. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    upgrade

Pat and Frank

Nice job that was a quick pick-up on your part Pat. Look if you need help for a upgrade just lets us know I'll do my part as I'm sure others will do. If I were a betting man I would say it's just a matter of time before the traffic will overwhelm the current setup so why don't you just do it now.

19. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Things were OK this morning but have gotten slow again this afternoon, even getting some timeouts while trying to view/post. I second the idea of setting up donations to help pay for any required upgrade, would hate to see this forum become a financial burden for anybody.