Cafe Upgrade on Friday!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PGB, Oct 26, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    The cafe will be down for a couple of hours on Friday at 0700 UTC for an upgrade to the forum software. This upgrade patches security holes, adds expanded searching, etc. and will be relatively minor as most is on the backend.

It is also the first step in fine tuning features that have been on the back burner and have been requested by members.

So everyone has now been warned. Thank you for your support and understanding.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  2. Thanks, for the heads up, Patrick. What time will the upgrade be started?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Appreciate the heads up, will be ready and interested.
    Dave

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
  5. Thanks for your hard work in makign this site the best on the nt. Good luck with your upgrade we all know how these can go..... :cool:

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    bump!

7. We are ready, let er rip. looks like about 11 am est tomorrow.
    Dave

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    WHAT!!??!! That's during working hours! What will I do? Aaakkk! I'll have to ... (omg, I can't believe I'm saying this) ... work!

(heh- just kidding boss, in case you're reading this. I never go to the cafe from work. All those posts you see are the OTHER chris101.)

9. lmao, this is directed to the "other" chris 101

10. and by the way Chris this is about 8 am your time so no worries, you are still snoozing arent you?

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    However 0700 Universal Time (or gmt as we used to say) is seven hours later than me (Arizona Time, similar to Mountain Time, except we ignore Daylight Savings), so this puts the beginning of the eclipse (of the Cafe) at midnight tonight here, right?

Ok, it's about time I got to bed early.

12. alright I m confused

13. 07:00 GMT !!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I better go to bed...that's in ... 4 hours...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boss, can I call sick tomorrow... it's a national holiday here... :wink:

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'd love it if that were the case. I've got to be at work at 9 tomorrow. I'm doing a little installation of my own (hooking up a brand new Cary 50 spectrophotometer. It's got new technology optics with no refractive surfaces, 190-1100nm, half a nanometer resolution, scans 400 nm/sec, and is not effected by stray light. - and the thing is about the size of a healthy desktop computer! I'm looking forward to playing with this gizmo!)

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Here's how I always figure it out. I take a globe (or an imaginary globe) and hold it so that the sun (a light bulb, or imaginary lightbulb) is directly over London. This is noon GMT. Then I look at Arizona, and from that vantage point, the sun, er bulb, is just below the eastern horizon: 5 AM. So, GMT is 7 hours later than my time.

I actually have to figure this out EVERY TIME! Only I make fists, use one as the earth, and other as the sun. By the time the sun punches me in the eye, it's noon.

16. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Upgrade Complete!

Please post any bugs you might find.

A big thank you to Paul aka Montydog for being the lead on the software upgrade. What a fine gentleman and scholar. Be sure to let him know how much we appreciate him.

Thanks for your patience during this upgrade.

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Bug Report!

When I go to "New Posts" I'm not seeing the posts I've made this morning, since my last visit @8:44pm last night. I've made about 5 or 6, and they're not showing. What's up with that?

18. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

The smiles are working when I click on them

19. when i go to new posts i see 500! yikes!
    Chris I tried the globe thingy with the fists as you suggested. Punched myself in the eye thinking I had time because it was still dark here. Mebe I dint do it right..............
    Paul and Patrick, thanks for your efforts.
    Dave

20. Steve, are you sure they are not on the 2nd or 3rd page???