1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cake for a football supporter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by italy74, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Hi guys

just let me share with you my wife's latest cake, just put in the fridge.
    Tonight we'll go and visit my brother's - brother in law who is turning 30 and he's a keen football supporter.. I hope he will enjoy...

Cake frosting with whipped cream, sponge cake with hazelnuts and chocolate cream

334552398_orApD-X2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I hope it will arrive integer, since we have a 180 km trip to go....

2. Dino.....
    that is awesome (nice picture, too)

he'll LOVE this cake... no doubt
    thanks for sharing

wish him a Happy Birthday from ALL of us... please

3. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Football?! That looks like a SOCCER cake to me! *ducks for cover*

(yes, I know it's really football)

4. No cake throwing, that would be pie throwing :eek: 

That cake looks too good to throw.

Congrats to Italy for winning Euro 2008. Football, either American or the real FOOTball are great sports. The former is better, cheerleaders on the sidelines and commercials for pottie breaks :biggrin:

Time for me to duck!!

5. Gene... thanks for your lines but Italy DIDN'T win Euro 2008, Spain did. We won the World Cup two years ago and since then, the team changed a lot, and results consequently.

to duck.... I know it's slang.. it's something like "to vanish, to escape, to avoid a risk"?

6. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Yes, in this case to avoid the risk of a cake being thrown at me for calling it soccer :cool: :eek: :tongue:

7. Dino,

Sorry, much embarrassment from the left side of the Atlantic. :redface:

I watched the Euro 2008 final. It was a long time coming and well deserved for Spain, they clearly outplayed the Germans, in both hustle and style. I must have been thinking about the Azzurri win over France in the World Cup 2006. :smile:

Speaking of cake? I worked 5 months in Calafat, Romania in fall of 1994 for my job with the US federal government. While there, I worked with many Italians from the Guardia di Finazia (sp?), which they told me was like the US Coast Guard and IRS in one agency. Also there were other countries (France, Holland, Germany) representing the Western European Union (WEO).

WEO invited the 3 Americans to their Christmas Eve celebration. One of the Italian traditions was eating a special cake, cut in wedges with champagne. It was essentially a lite sponge cake topped with powdered sugar. By chance, would you know the name of the cake?

The cake was good but the best part was trying to eat it while drinking champagne and getting the powdered sugar everywhere.

Yes, the word "duck" used this way refers to getting out of the way, especially your head, like "duck and hide".

8. Hi Gene
    the only national Christmas cakes we have are two:
    1) Panettone, from Milan, butter sponge cake filled with raisin/sultana, candies etc.
    something like this one: [​IMG]

2) Pandoro, from Verona, which has white sugar on top but anything inside.
    something like this:
    [​IMG]

9. Dino,

Pandoro looks very familiar to me. The cake I had back in 1994 had no filling and I think had an almond flavor.

Thanks, all of these cakes is making me hungry. :smile:

Best regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.