Critique Calgary

Real Name
Andy
Looking for critique. What would you do differently?

32mm, f/16, 1/2", ISO100, stacked a 5-stop ND filter and grad filter for the sky. Darkened the top and bottom of frame with a grad in post.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
This is a really creative composition; not at all the usual approach. However, for me it doesn't work because the brown land divides the photo into two photos. Consider cropping at the bottom just below the land to present the interesting juxtaposition of it and the buildings.

Much of the image, especially the buildings, seems to have a blue color cast on my calibrated monitor; consider adjusting that just a bit to determine if making the adjustment works for you.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I think Mike mentioned a key issue......the scrubby brown middle ground.

Also darkening the sky and water in post (and maybe in capture?) creates, for me, a conflict between the light that would have created the reflections.....and the dull light in the image. Overall, the image doesn't seem to have a nice "quality of light" to give it life. Nit: There is a dust spot in the sky and the waterfowl are distracting at the extreme edge of the image.

Real Name
Andy
This is a really creative composition; not at all the usual approach. However, for me it doesn't work because the brown land divides the photo into two photos. Consider cropping at the bottom just below the land to present the interesting juxtaposition of it and the buildings.

Much of the image, especially the buildings, seems to have a blue color cast on my calibrated monitor; consider adjusting that just a bit to determine if making the adjustment works for you.
I think Mike mentioned a key issue......the scrubby brown middle ground.

Also darkening the sky and water in post (and maybe in capture?) creates, for me, a conflict between the light that would have created the reflections.....and the dull light in the image. Overall, the image doesn't seem to have a nice "quality of light" to give it life. Nit: There is a dust spot in the sky and the waterfowl are distracting at the extreme edge of the image.
What they ^^ said. Well, perhaps having a couple of Moose cavorting in the foreground . . :D
All great suggestions - precisely the kind of critique that I need. Reprocessed as follows:

1. Masked the sky (to preserve the blue color) and warmed up the rest of the frame. Eliminated the grad filter that was darkening the sky and further darkened the exposure on the bottom to make the light look more believable. Removed sensor spot from sky and Canada Geese (no moose to replace them, unfortunately).

2. As above, but cropped per Mike's suggestion.

I rather like the warmed up version (1) above. It makes the image a bit more "complete" and the winter vegetation doesn't quite clamor for attention! The crop works, but I miss the "impressionistic" reflections.

I actually like the first photo just as it is. It doesn't bother me that the brown vegetation is across the middle. I do like the warmed up version with the reflections better than the original. I think it's a very beautiful photo. Nice job!!

It's interesting that the adjustments you made in the first revision somehow make my complaint about the photo being divided into two photos far less objectionable (though I have no idea how or why). I definitely like the second revision best of all the versions, but that's no surprise considering that it's most consistent with my own personal tastes.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I prefer the cropped version also. In the original, the horizon was in the middle of the frame, usually not the best place compositionally.

Real Name
Andy
I'm onboard with Nick. I like the symmetric reflections but Mike's suggestion is also a good one. Don't you also own the 24-70 S? Maybe better suited for LS.
Agree completely, but I wasn't specifically looking for a cityscape that day and had opted for the versatility of the 28-300. Next time I'm in Calgary, I'll return to that spot with refined goals.

Real Name
Andy
I rather like the warmed up version (1) above. It makes the image a bit more "complete" and the winter vegetation doesn't quite clamor for attention! The crop works, but I miss the "impressionistic" reflections.
I actually like the first photo just as it is. It doesn't bother me that the brown vegetation is across the middle. I do like the warmed up version with the reflections better than the original. I think it's a very beautiful photo. Nice job!!
I'm onboard with Nick. I like the symmetric reflections but Mike's suggestion is also a good one. Don't you also own the 24-70 S? Maybe better suited for LS.
It's interesting that the adjustments you made in the first revision somehow make my complaint about the photo being divided into two photos far less objectionable (though I have no idea how or why). I definitely like the second revision best of all the versions, but that's no surprise considering that it's most consistent with my own personal tastes.
I prefer the cropped version also. In the original, the horizon was in the middle of the frame, usually not the best place compositionally.
I really like reprocessed #1. A nice image!
I like the crop. I look for reflections but this looks better without them.
Thank you all for looking and adding your thoughts. I definitely look forward to my next trip to Calgary where I will aim to improve the composition of this image. I think this particular location has potential.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom