Calibrated 2nd monitor hooked up to iMac

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Sauk, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I think I did it right and I believe what I am seeing now is a calibrated monitor.

It is a Dell 2405 monitor. Had it sitting around so I hooked it up for editing purposes.

I tried to calibrate with the iMac and the images still seem to warm when viewing, warm or saturated. I am using a aluminum iMac by the way.

Is there a way to tell for sure if this thing got my 2nd monitor correct when doing a calibration?

Or is just whatever lol

2. I am confused. Are you saying you assume the iMac monitor is correct and you are trying to get the other monitor to look like the iMac's?

To calibrate a monitor you need a piece of equipment like the Spyder. If you are using that and they are not the same, can you control the r-g-b separately? I find that without being able to do that it is hard to calibrate.

3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    yeah sorry, here let me try again lol

I calibrated the iMac using a Eye-One Display 2 calibration.

I calibrated my Dell then my iMac. The iMac no matter what seems either more saturated or warmer then my Dell.

How the heck do I know which one is correct?

4. I don't have either monitor nor do I use that calibration product.
    But,
    are they both set for white point at 6500 and 2.2 gamma? Can you adjust the individual r-g-b? On one monitor I had I could and when the deise should the green was a bit too far to the right I could reduce green. On another monitor I could not make these adjustments so if the green was a bit "much" there was nothing I could do.
    Again, if you make all the adjustments and they do not look the same, the only thing I can think of is make a print of an image you like or a test image from here and see which monitor is closest to the print.

5. Wileec

Wileec Guest

To begin with - technically - it's not likely you can calibrate either of the displays. The term calibrate gets used erroneously. Most of the LCDs can be profiled, but that's not the same thing - at all.

Apple monitors tend to be warm.

There is no one recipe fits all, when it comes to aiming for display settings and a profile that enables an LCD display to be as accurate to images as possible. Sometimes aiming for a target that is radically different than the native state of the display will cause more problems than using the display controls to aim for a reasonable representation of a good reference image, then use a colorimeter (Optix, Spyder, etc.) to profile the display.

The native state of displays from two different companies may be so different that it can be challenging for them to reflect the same color. That said, I do have two very different displays, the main about two and a half times the cost of the other, yet once I've gone through the process I've mentioned - then profiled them, they are pretty darn close.

FYI - To calibrate a display requires hardware access to RGB strengths to the display (with a CRT, this amounts to direct control of the guns). The idea being selecting a color temp, then using a colorimeter and software to make the display as close as possible to equal measured levels of R , G, and B - producing a display that is, for example, set to 6500 and exactly neutral. In the old days we called it calibration, then characterization (profiling). Calibrate the display to a measurable, repeatable state, then profile it. The added benefit of a display that can be calibrated - once the display is no longer able to hit the calibration target - you know it's time to replace it. It's tougher in LCD land - to be sure.

Edit: Here is a link for a site with a series of pages that can help one understand more about their LCD and help to get it dialed in. Do this before profiling it and you give yourself the best opportunity of having files displayed accurately. The goal is display that is accurate to the file.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  6. There's also the fact that the iMac is glossy while the Dell is matte. That can have an effect on things I believe...

7. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

The glossy screen makes the color look more saturated and brighter. That is why the glossy screens are popular with people who use their computers as media players.
    We see this same effect when we print on glossy photo paper.

8. Rudi

Rudi

Sep 29, 2008
    Australia
    The iMac will be closer. It is a newer S-IPS panel, the Dell is not. So the iMac will be showing a larger colour gamut, and be closer to "true" colour than the Dell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.