Calibrated but all different... Sigh

Folks,

Greetings. I have two monitors hooked up to my PC: A Dell 2407WFP-HC and a Apple Cinema Display. I've calibrated both with Spyder3Pro.

They look remarkably different.

This perhaps is not so surprising, different gamuts, etc.

Then... I create an sRGB jpeg out of LR and it looks pretty much the same as what I see in the LR rendering (jpeg displayed in Windows photo gallery). But only on the Dell! If I move them both to the Apple display they look quite different.

And... if I export the jpeg for web display and look at it on the web it looks like the Apple Display rendering of the jpeg... on both monitors! (save some minor brightness differences). :confused:

Sigh. I'm so confused, annoyed, frustrated... Any thoughts?

Cheers,

-Yamo-

They should be close in colors. I run a 2 monitor setup, a samsung and a NEC. After calibration they are extremely close, though the NEC is the closest to my prints if I want to get really picky.... The biggest difference is the gamma, the samsung is set brighter so I can see what the prints will look like to others on the web, the NEC is darker which matches more closely to what my printer produces.

Since you are using sRGB, that should eleminate any color aware applications. Are you sure you are converting the color profile to sRGB and not assigning it sRGB?

I used to use a spyder2 but was very dissapointed in the results, which were similar to what you are reporting. I have no experience with the spyder3, I assumed it should be much better. I use a Eye One, which I am very pleased with.

Yamo, what targets have you calibrated each monitor to? I think this is the key.

Douglas, Damien,

Greetings. Thanks for your responses... I discovered today (from another thread I started under Portraits) that one needs to use a color managed browser in order for the jpegs to look the same as they do in PS, LR. I may have to switch to Safari from Explorer to get this feature. Sigh.

I recalibrated and the two monitors are closer. I think Apple's monitors are just bluer.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

Please don't go to the dark side. Firefox 3 is colour-managed, and is a great browser.

Again, what targets have you calibrated to?

Er, Firefox failed the looks like jpeg, PS, LR versions test (as did Explorer).

Safari is the only one that passed.

:confused:

Does your mileage vary?

Cheers,

-Yamo-

On the face of it, that should be fine. But it might be better to calibrate the ACD to Native white point, make a note of what its NWP is, then calibrate the Dell to that exact same target.

On the face of it, that should be fine. But it might be better to calibrate the ACD to Native white point, make a note of what its NWP is, then calibrate the Dell to that exact same target.

I'm not sure what you mean by Native white point (nor how one would go about calibrating to it).

Cheers,

-Yamo-

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom