Calibrated CRT, New Smugmug account and Some new photos ;)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by helmet155, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Calibrated my CRT with a Pantone Colorvision Spyder this morning, surprised at how easy it is...then started a smugmug account to see how I like it...and then processed some photos...not my best but wanted to process some photos on the new calibration and do some testing...

Anythign I need to know about MugSmug and their re-sizing algorithms? I know there are some settings that can be modified so their resizing and corrections are not applied, have to do a search..

Both taken from my favorite vantage point at San Joaquin, why do I like it? My yield rate is really high from this spot (call it beginner's luck).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Using Frank's trick below ;)

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

Very nice shots. As for the smugmug resizing algorithms, you can avoid them altogether if you simply upload the size that you want to post, then when you get ready to link the photo to the Cafe (or other board), substitute -O in the url to your .jpg instead of -S (for Small), -M (for Medium), or -L (for Large).

That way your processing alone will be displayed and smugmug will not modify it at all.

Example:

http://flew.smugmug.com/photos/46922921-O.jpg gives this:
    [​IMG]

http://flew.smugmug.com/photos/46922921-S.jpg gives this:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps. :smile:

3. Don't you mean in the past tense from SJWC it was high till you got skunked the last three times out there...:tongue: :tongue: :biggrin:

4. Thanks for the tip Frank, funny how that is not mentioned anywhere on the link site...

Eric SJWS was bad for a few outings, but I still came away with some really good images, just not as many as the first few times I was there...

[​IMG]

5. So Who won the race? The GBH, Snowy or Great Egret?
    I remember that happening I just was not ready for it...
    You even have the group photo going on there...

BTW that peli shot should be printed and framed.. slight cropping...

Also I am skipping out of work tomorrow afternoon and heading to Sepulveda Interested? I might also leave early on Thursday as well...:biggrin:

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Looking ever better Brett
    great variety of birdies in one image, lucky dog :smile:

7. very nice and the calibration is a good thing too. You will find smugmug quite user friendly. I resize to 960 on the long side and they work great. I post using "large"
    Dave

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

If you post using 'Large', then smugmug is still messing with your image. I used to do the same until I got frustrated with how good Yves' and Ron's images looked, and asked them how they were able to post such incredible shots when I couldn't. The first thing they both said was 'if you weren't such a cruddy photographer'....no wait, that's not what they said. :rolleyes:

They both recommended saving your original to the size that you want to post, and then linking to that original. It truly makes a huge difference.

9. I have always processed for a print, converted to my local costco profile, then done resizing using the FM SI Pro tool for web printing, adding sig, frame, etc...

I asked about the posting stuff because I remember Frank making a comment and couldn't find it in a search (our forum is getting big) about smugmug's resizing algorithms.

One interesting thing: if someone from the outside world wanted to buy one of your images off smugmug (say if you have the 'pro' account) but your images are only web quality then what do you do?

10. The Egret of course, snowy Egret! He is so aggressive...

As you know, I only post photos that I feel can stand alone with very little cropping. The pelican needs some cropping though to center him I think??

Wednesday is a no-go, but Thursday afternoon is a possibility, maybe head up to Franklin Canyon?

11. Thanks Ben! It's hard work keeping up with you ;)

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That is a completely different issue from saving your images for posting at a board like the Cafe. In that case, you don't want to allow potential customers to get free access to your originals (although you would have to upload them, so that customers could buy them). You have to control access to your images in such galleries via smugmug access controls.

13. Can you go for the whole day thursday to wht Wild Animal park?