Calibration question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by danmab, Apr 26, 2007.

1. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hi everyone, just joined a few minutes ago :smile:

I have been enjoying reading this forum for a while and it's given me plenty of ideas for what lenses to think about.

My question is, for those that have bought Sigma or Tamron lenses...what is the process for getting them calibrated? Do you need to send in sample pictures as "proof" of need? Unfortunately, I need to save some pennies, but would still like fast glass, and am eyeing the Sigma 50-150, but am wary of 3rd party QC.

Any help is appreciated...

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    If you get new you should be fine, if you get focusing issues you can always take it back to the retailer for a new one. Getting Sigma or Tamron to adjust the lens under warranty should be free too.

Or you can buy a second hand one where you know it's calibrated properly.

3. I've had both a Tamron 28-75 and a Sigma 30 1.4 calibrated because of softness at wide open apertures. It is definitely worth the effort as both lenses came back extremely sharp. You simply go to the manufacturers' websites and get the service address and submission info. I included sample images of softness, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. Tamron took about 5 weeks to return the lens. Sigma took only 8 days.

I'd rather send in a soft lens for calibration by trained service techs, instead of playing roulette by returning a soft copy and hoping to get lucky with a good one.

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    On the flip side to Glenn, my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 both came perfectly sharp.