Califonia Central Coast and Wood Ducks (added more on p.2)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by helmet155, Dec 19, 2005.

1. As always: comment and critique freely please.

The weather was so poor in Morro Bay and Cambria the images are not so hot, had high hopes of Otters but they were nowhere to be found, high winds and rain = no otterpops!

I did get to see some Elephant seals and also took some images of smaller birdies, which I normally skip but they were up for some modelling so I thought I would oblige.

Capping off, Sara and I ended up stopping by a place where some wood ducks can be seen and had a great time capturing them, I got there at 3:30 so the good light had already gone but it was fun nonetheless...

FYI, playing with new SB-800 (gift from Sara)

Anyway, here they are...I do need some ID help on the raptor and the small birdies:

I have more of this guy, but for ID sake this is a goodie I hope:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nuts to butts boys and girls:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2005
  2. WOW!! Those wood duck shots are great!

3. Love the woodys one of my favorites ducks, great job on the bunch

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The second bird is a Cormorant. Cant help with the Hawk. Heck I can't id any of those. They all look to much alike to me :>))

Really nice images, all of them, dispite the weather.
    Ours at Viera was even worse ....

5. Hey there Hawk man, Thos first one looks almost like Red Shoulder Hawk..

6. Hi Jim, thank you! The wood ducks have been high on the list for a while and was happy to capture them...I did struggle with the new SB-800 and the modes but some of them turned out...

As always, very very little cropping, if any.

7. Thanks Mike! The woodies are pretty hard to beat!

Have you heard the 'whine' they make? It's really cute.

8. Hi Gale, too bad about the weather but honestly 70 and sunny every day here in SoCal gets a little boring sometimes...In Cambria Saturday night it was raining sideways the wind was so strong...reminded me of home it was fun!

I need to look into the Hawk, there were two - maybe a mating pair and they never lost sight of eachother...

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

all good Brett
    a tad to much flash reflected back from the water droplets on the woody
    you got great color in the rest of the woodys
    no idea about raptor ID, sorry. Could be sharp shinned or Red Shoulder maybe.
    I really dig the Seal shot !!

10. Great shots, Brett! The hawk looks like the one that we saw yesterday at Viera. I was told it was Red-Shouldered Hawk. These are beauties!!

11. Great stuff Brett! I am pretty sure red shouldered hawk is the correct Id. the one wood duck shot didnt work out but the rest are awesome!

12. I was a little apprehensive about the wood ducky with water droplets, but after showing the images to some of my friends here at work it was their favorite...

I agree with you, Red Shouldered Hawk...thanks for the ID help also Eric and Kevin...

13. Some more I banged out...these ones on my calibrated CRT...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seem like a common bird, maybe a crackle??

14. Great shots Brett. Love those wood ducks.

15. Thanks James, the woodies are very intriguing!