California Nebula... probably my last post....

This will probably be my last post here of astro images as I have moved away from my D5300, but still using Nikon lenses for wide field. I am now using a ZWO ASI294MC Pro Color camera.

Both of these photos are of NGC1499 also known as the California Nebula in the constellation Perseus. The second photo is the exact same object, but I found the switch to turn all the stars off when I took it. :sneaky:

NGC1499 takes its name from the fact it looks like the state of California… It is as an emission nebula (clouds of ionized gas that emits its own light) and is about 1,000 light years from earth. It is not visible to the naked eye and is a very large object - about 5 times the width of the moon at 2.5 degrees.

It was discovered in 1884 by E. E. Barnard. This is a compilation of about 120 minutes of exposures (3, 5 & 7 minutes) with 25 bias, dark and flat images. It was stacked and processed in Pixinsight.

Which do you like better - stars or no stars?

Thanks!

ngc1499_less_stars_small.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
ngc1499-starless-small.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks... yeah, not many people like the starless one... i guess it looks out of context...

Ok - I will continue to post some from time to time - thought the focus was more on the brand.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks... yeah, not many people like the starless one... i guess it looks out of context...

Ok - I will continue to post some from time to time - thought the focus was more on the brand.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Yes, the gear talk may be weighted to Nikons.......(Actually a bit less each year...)... but the galleries are for sharing IMAGES regardless of gear.

So please, post frequently!!!! You are part of our Cafe family..... and we just don't want you to leave!

Ok - understood. I will post as frequently as the weather gods let me take photos - before last week that was middle of December. That was right after I took possession of the new camera, so 2 months with a new toy and I could not use it. When skies were clear, temperature way to low....

Thanks for the nice comments! Stars it is!

Kevin, really nice astro! Particularly with the stars. What are your optics for the ZWO?

Thanks! The lens used was the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 at 200mm. ZWO sells an adapter that I can drop a filter into. I used a Baader Moon & Sky Glow filter on this. This was then piggy backed on my Meade LX200 8" telescope for tracking and guiding.

Stars. I hope you keep pisting, I don't care what you're using to capture them. They're beautiful images that most of us would never see without your contributions.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom