1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

California pics

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by timross, Sep 23, 2008.

1. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Another business trip. This time, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.

Marina Del Mar

DSC_2514.

Somewhere near Venice Beach

DSC_2531.

Venice Beach

DSC_2547.

Goleta, California

DSC_2731.

DSC_2788.

DSC_2791.

DSC_2792.

DSC_2811.

DSC_2836.

DSC_2825.

I still have to pass all these pics through Lightroom, but I have over 1500 of them.

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice series of images. I really like the moonrise shot !

3. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Great shots, are you shooting raw or jpegs?

4. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    I had just bought the camera, and only had a 1GB memory card, so I was shooting .jpeg. I now carry about 4 2GB cards everywhere I go and shoot in RAW/jpeg.

5. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    But, I am interested in why do we shoot RAW? Is it just so you have a "negative"? Now that I have Lightroom 2, is there any advantages/disadvantages of editing the RAW file vs the jpeg?

6. jlangiew

jlangiew Guest

You have a lot more control over RAW files in LR2. White balance... exposure, saturation etc. all seem to adjust better using RAW.

7. h2oman

h2oman

Aug 17, 2006
    Quebec City
    I shoot RAW. It gives you a lot more control over PP. It add a "conversion to jpeg" step to your workflow but it's worth it.

I really like the shot of the crashing wave in Venice Beach. You mentionned that you were using LR2. Have you tried to apply a graduated filter to this shot (exposure -1.5), it could had a lot of punch to the picture.

8. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Nice series.

9. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have not done any editing to my California shots yet. I have not even added them to the LR library yet. I just imported from my camera and posted them so my parents could see my pics. I hope to get some work done on them in the next few weeks.

10. Nice series. My favorite is the shot of the pier.

11. business and photo... good trip. david

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.